How good are Predator engines?

I'm having a yellow Box Stock Clone built for my Doodle Bug conversion, but I went ahead and bought a Predator w/the $99 coupon just cuz the idea of having a brand new engine for $100 was so intriguing. Don't know what I'll do w/it.....prob eventually mod it out over time.

if your looking for a real engine get a flathead briggs those clones look like crap on vintage mini bikes ruins the whole thing just saying i wouldnt use one if it was free

if your looking for a real engine get a flathead briggs those clones look like crap on vintage mini bikes ruins the whole thing just saying i wouldnt use one if it was free
Thats what I used to think when I had a 5 hp briggs in my cat. I got a predator 212 and took out the 5 hp briggs. The predator is a big improvement over the briggs in hp and torque. my 5 hp briggs was modded as well.

we have 3 "honda clones", 2 of them are 212's so im assuming their predators but renamed. their called "power ease by BE"

all 3 bikes are driven extremely hard with little maitenence, oil change once a week ect.

here are some videos to show the durability of these engines.

Indy 500, done well over 750 laps this summer, each lap .6km
Indy 500 - YouTube

towing a broken minibike due to a broken chain. each bike weighs about 70 pounds, and im 130, and my brother is 100 pounds. so thats quite a bit of weight to pull for over 12km. yes, we towed it home for 12 km like this.
Mini bike chain broke - YouTube

these 3 videos were taken yesterday as we just had a fresh decent first snowfall of the year.
Minibike snow fun - YouTube
Mini bike snow fun #2 - YouTube
Mini bike snow fun #3 - YouTube

as a side note for the last video, always look both ways before crossing any road of any sort. there were two ppl on the road looking for traffic n it was safe and clear.

I'm glad to hear that people have had good results with this engine.

I am very satisfied with the one I have. The torque is unbelievable, comparable to an 8HP Briggs. The acceleration I get from this engine is 0 to throw you off the bike. :thumbsup:

Muffinator- Re jet the carburetor and open the exhaust with higher flowing muffler then Hang On!

Others and myself have had good luck with the universal hot dogs style (8 horsepower) generic muffers. Better sound & higher flowing.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I'm glad to hear that people have had good results with this engine.

I am very satisfied with the one I have. The torque is unbelievable, comparable to an 8HP Briggs. The acceleration I get from this engine is 0 to throw you off the bike. :thumbsup:
They are wicked on a small frame bike.

I want to build one up mildly and try it on a larger frame bike.

vwfan79

I have 2 of these motors and I am very happy with them. 1 is on a DB30 and is modded pretty good, and the other is stock other then header and air filter and still has good torque and power.

Click pic for video

Last edited:

GustoGuy

Nice front suspension on your DB30. I have a Red DB30 and I would liked to make a suspension front end too. Where did you buy your triple tree's from and your front shocks? I seen all kinds of forks for sale and pit bike suspension front forks but they all seem to be narrower than the 7 inch width between the fork tines. I guess you could use a narrower pit bike front wheel but I would prefer to keep the fat wheeled stock one. How cheap are the exhaust systems and what kind of power increase will the motor make with one? are they offensively loud as well? I do not want to piss my neighbors off.

Also did you weld in an extension "stretch" your DB30 frame? It also looks like your engine is sitting back farther than mine is. I used the Pro-mod adjustable motor mount and Max torque clutch and chain guard for my 6.5 conversion. Much more fun now, unfortunately my 22 year old step daughter and my wife both wiped out on it the first time they drove it. I would not let a little kid under 16 years old drive my Doodle Beast now since they could get hurt. I have another Predator 212cc engine coming to replace my 17 year old 5hp Tecumseh on my snowblwer since its a real bear to start when its cold and it can bog a bit when the snow is deep.

Last edited:
There is a good thread on here it takes away all the guess work. I ordered the drill bits off ebay for $6 shipped to the house and have done all but one of one of my predators. A $6 dollar investment spread over 6 engines = cheap upgrades. :smile:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator-engines/42480-diy-re-jetting-6-5-a.html
I actually prefer to buy the parts this way I can keep the original jets in case I ever need them. Was just wondering what size jet I should buy.

Gusto, I made the triple trees, tghe fork tubes are off a chinese pocket bike, and the frame has a 4" stretch with a new longer motor mount.

My exhaust is the HotRodMini header and RLV muffler. Sounds good.

Dunno the jet sizes. I bought a jet kit for my setup and dropped them in.

Gusto, I made the triple trees, tghe fork tubes are off a chinese pocket bike, and the frame has a 4" stretch with a new longer motor mount.

My exhaust is the HotRodMini header and RLV muffler. Sounds good.

Dunno the jet sizes. I bought a jet kit for my setup and dropped them in.
You're talking about the jet kit listed on OldMiniBikes? I think that one comes with two sizes. .036 and .037 or something like that.

The jet kit came from HotRodMinis. Got it the same time I got their header and RLV muffler. TAV2 and sprocket adapter came from OldMiniBikes.

Does anyone else recommend a jet size? I want to increase the performance of the engine but I don't want to start replacing major parts. I just want it to stop surging and cutting out at high RPMs.

The jet kit from HotRodMinis runs $21. One jet, one emulsion tube. Dunno sizes without removing them from my carb.

Jets from OldMiniBikes are $2.10 each. Jet kit from OldMiniBikes is $15 with emulsion tube and two jets.

I got the HRM kit at the same time as a bunch of other parts and works for my setup which is nothing more than air filter and exhaust. Motor stock for now.

If I was you, get the OldMiniBikes kit and see what happens.