how to keep a live axle in place

C9H13NO3

I have been pondering the idea of building a barstool racer from scratch, and i will use a live axle, so how do you keep a live axle in place? I know that you need bearings, bust how do you stop side to side movement?

Well great question glad your thinking.
With the 1 inch axle you can get bearings with a concentric lock so you set the axle where you want and use a punch and lock down the cam and tighten the set screw. They also sell two piece locking collors and some have the cut out for the 1/4 inch axle key.
Hope this helps. Steve :scooter:

ranger

A barstool racer those things look pretty Kool

But --- A broken arm/ 2 broken fingers --- Do you really need to build one of these or are you planning on breaking something else --- build the go kart --- it is safer than the barstool racer

Neck

Growing up is optional
As long as your drive sprocket and brake are mounted between the frame rails, you can cut tubes that fit over the axle that fit snugly between the wheel flanges and the axle bearings.

I have done that to protect the exposed shafts from the boulders that we would encounter on the race course during off road desert races. I used PVC tubing.
Steve :scooter: