Howdy!

Oops! I just realized that I never introduced myself before lurking and posting. How ruuuuuude.

My name is Joe. I don't have a minibike, but I do have a go kart. It's an early 60s Simplex Challenger Mk II Racer. I'm looking for a pair of era-correct 2-stroke engines for it.

My minibiking friend and I are trying to organize a vintage minibike-go kart race on a real race track later this year. It will be called the White Knuckle Scramble... if we can raise enough money to rent the track. :) So far this is the ONLY track I can find that will allow minibikes to run. Bunch of hoodlums, I guess. :shrug:

Anyway, when I'm not messing with the kart, I work on full-size vehicles. Currently that includes a '59 Chevy, '65 Econoline, and a '63 Corvair.

howdy to you as well! welcome to OldMiniBikes!
forgot to say I am in the Highway HorrorS, traditional hot rod club out of league city/houston area.

Last edited:
That's OK by me. The sooner any Chicago team is eliminated from competition, the sooner traffic settles back to normal. :biggrin:

Hey 45T, where in IL are you?

No idea. Actually, it mainly has to do with insurance. Every track (except one) that I spoke to said their insurance would not allow minibikes to run. I talked to circle tracks, stock car tracks, and go kart tracks. Nada. The track that agreed said minibikes were too slow to worry much about, so we got the green light.

Thanks! The '59 was built by my wife and I. Lowered 3 inches, some shaved/modified trim, white tuck & roll interior, v8 swap, metallic, candy, and metalflake paint, and more. I've logged several 1000s of miles in it.

I pulled the 170ci inline 6 out of the van and dropped in a Lincoln 5.0L HO motor and a 9" POSI... then proceeded to twist the driveshaft in HALF and tear the rear suspension out on the drag strip. :D I've been working on fixiing that mess, but it's a LOT stronger now

Not much happening with the Corvair. I rebuilt a 110hp 6 and replaced the 102hp stock engine, but that's about it so far.

van interior so far

What I'm dealing witih

the Shaft

45t

That's OK by me. The sooner any Chicago team is eliminated from competition, the sooner traffic settles back to normal. :biggrin:

Hey 45T, where in IL are you?
Far west suburb, Elgin. I think its as far west of Chicago you can get and still be considered a suburb?

Hey Hellfish,

Welcome to the fun.

Nice looking rides you got there. Talk about "gettin' the shaft" :laugh: .

Thanks for your efforts in putting together that ride/meet next September...the more folks willing to organize and support stuff like that, the better for our hobby.

cxbra

Welcome Hellfish! Looks like you're into the right hobbies. My only suggestion is to add some cycles to your 4 wheeler collection :wink:.

We need people to come out to the fundraiser next month (2/17) to make this happen. We might be able to set up online donations for those unable to attend, or we might have to have a 2nd fundraiser, but the Scramble WILL happen, dangit!

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-events/73025-white-knuckle-scramble-chicago.html

The track is paved with lots of curves.

Yeah, I got shafted alright! Tore the leaf springs partially out of the frame, too. Rust, unibodies, and horsepower do not mix... in case you didn't know that already. :)

I gave away the complete 170 drivetrain... but I know where it is. :)

I have a motorcycle license, but have pretty much been forbidden from owning a motorcycle. Maybe one day, but for now I break enough stuff with 2 extra wheels :hammer: