I got a place to store my nutz

and bolts and screws and most every other tiny little thing in my garage.

It measures 48" wide by 29" tall by 40" deep overall, I have some of those cheap HF plastic bins in it just to see if they fit.

It is actually two pieces with 4 drawers each and they both have 2" deep top drawers and the bottom three are 3" deep.

I plan to put all the nuts, bolts, screws, and whatever else in it to help declutter and organize my garage.

The top will end up being a large work area and I havnet decided if I'll set them side by side or keep them stacked.

I picked up my auction item today even though I left work early with a nasty headache.(I just wanted to get it home-time for a nap)

hope you got long arms....:laugh:

if you've got a beer belly :drinkup: you'll have to walk around to the side to reach the back of the drawer :doah:

yeah those are some deep drawers for sure.

I'd have prefered a 28" deep set but will have to suffer through with these.:laugh:

I'll be fine as long as I dont have it to high off the ground.

EDIT:Well those drawers are 34" deep but the last 8" dont pull out but even so I can fit 77 small plastic HF bins(3-13/16" L x 3-3/4" W x 2" H) in the top drawer.

That still leaves me 8944 square inchs of storage space.
I will be able to put 154 of the small bins in the 2 small drawers and 258 of the larger bins in (4" L x 6-1/2" W x 2-15/16" H) the other larger 6 drawers.

Last edited:
Nice, I wouldn't mind having a couple old storage cabinets like we used in the Navy. They were Vidmars. You could divide the draw into sections then further divide it up into smaller storage units as you saw fit. They also made a great work table just add a sturdy wood top.

Nice, I wouldn't mind having a couple old storage cabinets like we used in the Navy. They were Vidmars. You could divide the draw into sections then further divide it up into smaller storage units as you saw fit. They also made a great work table just add a sturdy wood top.
Those sound good to.

There are a lot of good storage solutions but I just dont want to spend the cash to get them.

I think this will take care of most if not all of my needs.

were they for maps ?
Its a file cabinet for blue prints or maps, large prints of whatever really.

They are usually very well built.

Mine is well built IMO it has steel rollers like an old drawer setup but basically the roller is a steel bearing.

I need to clean it up a bit, set it on casters and make a top for it then start filling it.The top thats on it had a small hose going to it and i just cant figure out what it is yet but it will come off and be replaced with a nice piece of plywood stained/sealed.

Man...you and your thread titles. I thought there was gonna be a picture of a purse:laugh:. Cool cabinet though...looks like a good size to build a bike on also.:thumbsup:

MiniBike Paul

Very cool, where did you get them?

My big tool box, I call it the aircraft carrier, has 36" deep drawers, which I love! Those things you have will be terrific!!

Its a file cabinet for blue prints or maps, large prints of whatever really.

They are usually very well built.

Mine is well built IMO it has steel rollers like an old drawer setup but basically the roller is a steel bearing.

I need to clean it up a bit, set it on casters and make a top for it then start filling it.The top thats on it had a small hose going to it and i just cant figure out what it is yet but it will come off and be replaced with a nice piece of plywood stained/sealed.
ther are well built,shuld be,they cost as much as a car, !

You know you could seperate them add some angle iron legs to get it up and make an extra wide work area out of the two. Add some more angle lower down add some plywood to make storage shelf.

You know you could seperate them add some angle iron legs to get it up and make an extra wide work area out of the two. Add some more angle lower down add some plywood to make storage shelf.
I thought of doing that but I just dont have the room to give up to it plus these are made to be stacked the way they were built.

I'll just have a stacked fastener area with a nice 42" x 56" plywood top.

I bought some casters today and hope to get them attached sunday, they are only rated for 330lbs each so I hope they hold up

Those look like the old map storage units we had in the Army, always thought they would make a good storage unit/work bench. Great to know your Nutz won't be hangin out all over the shop.:thumbsup:

My wife foolishly volunteered to sort my nutz & bolts but when she got a good look at the project she realized it wasnt going to be as much fun as she had thought.:shrug:

I have been tired lately but I did get the casters welded on and we cleaned it up a little and she will be putting all the stuff laying around the garage in it and starting the sorting as I work on the 6X6.:thumbsup:

I look at it and see a compact hardware store right at my fingertips when its done.

OK heres how it sits right now.
The top is 43" deep by 56" wide and I plan on having lights under the front so I can easily see into the drawers and it will have a power strip attached to one side and a moveable lamp for the top.

Yeah we got a lot of work to do as far as getting it organized.

I think we'll label the drawers from top down:
shiny
satin
brushed
flat
painted
rusty