I hate to see this...

I agree Jeff. Guess the guy just wants some money. I'm a part seeker myself:laugh::laugh:

Something tells me that if there were no "Parts Seeker's" there would be no "Parts Seller's" :wink::smile:

Maybe we all need to stop buying parts :shrug: There would be a lot of unfinished projects for sale :laugh:

Last edited:

markus

No reason to bitch about that bike being parted, It was offered for a more than reasonable price as a complete bike on both ebay and craigslist. his sales tactics are not that good but when it came down to it it was offered less (even with shipping) than what the parts will bring or would cost to build something similar. and it is too bad nobody took advantage of that, Lightweight frame, TC, good size, well built, didn't need paint.

The real shame is he had to part it out just to sell it, the irony is most of the parts will go to bikes that people will probably spend way more money on than what they could have just bought that bike for, and wont come near to what that bike WAS :laugh:

don't really like to see this either.but after looking at some of the parts I don't think he'll get much out of most of them.the fenders are beat to hell,seat is ripped.
the kickstand is bringing big money.need some parts for ours,but nothing he has intrests me

KB2ROCKET

I had a boonie bike I turned into a 3 wheeled tractor bike at 1st a few people scolded me for doing this to a boonie
but when I posted up all the parts that I didnt need anymore like the original kickstand seat rear wheel assy. and chain guard. fenders
people came in like vultures to pick up the scraps
so I look at it like this. yes parting out a bike means their will be one less bike that could be completed but at the same time it makes everybody elses bike slightly more Rare & you are helping them to complete their restorations
I almost got kicked off a classic mini cooper site because I told them I wanted to gut my car and install a v8 ... come on you are only alive for so long make something that makes you happy .. if that means making it stock then so be it but stock is not my thing :thumbsup:

toomanytoys

I had a boonie bike I turned into a 3 wheeled tractor bike at 1st a few people scolded me for doing this to a boonie
but when I posted up all the parts that I didnt need anymore like the original kickstand seat rear wheel assy. and chain guard. fenders
people came in like vultures to pick up the scraps
so I look at it like this. yes parting out a bike means their will be one less bike that could be completed but at the same time it makes everybody elses bike slightly more Rare & you are helping them to complete their restorations
I almost got kicked off a classic mini cooper site because I told them I wanted to gut my car and install a v8 ... come on you are only alive for so long make something that makes you happy .. if that means making it stock then so be it but stock is not my thing :thumbsup:
No one should complain about hacking up a boonie, those things are everywhere. I see a few for sale each week.

KB2ROCKET

Im from ohio too and I can tell you it is the mini capitol of the world well now im in florida and old minibikes are not around every corner

It is what it is.... guy ownes it and can do what ever he wants! I am just the type that something has made it 30-40? years intact no way I can scrap it for a few bucks... good chance the bike beeing scrapped is older than the person doing it...

Hey anyone want the factory knockoffs from my 63 split window? I think im going to convert it into a swamp buggy :laugh:
Actually Yes My 63 someone cut the center post out of the rear glass section to make it look like a 64 up.... I will be happy to give the proper cut locations... and I would like the trim as well :laugh:

We have all watched the values of parts rise substantially in the past 5yrs, even the not so rare stuff goes for crazy $. The hobby is still affordable to some extent and I hope it will be for quite some time to come.

Same thins began to happen to lanterns a decade ago.

People decided it was more profitable to strip them for the parts.
This fellow makes me sick because he goes to yard sales looking for things to strip.

Coleman Lantern Model 236 Brass Fount Dated 7 66 | eBay

He hand picks the best parts and reassembles basterd lanterns for resale.

Now here is the cruel part as far as I am concerned....
People buy from him ( and man many others ) who are ignorant of what he is doing.
They pay a premium for what they thinks is a correct period peice and end up with something that just looks good....
ANy real value is lost.

Also the Canadian Coleman plant produced most of the premium and export lanterns and stoves.
They were the finest made and some of these things are rare
When the factory was closed in the the 80s and all the tooling and parts left over were sent to the USA all of the documentation was thrown away so we have no idea what the production numbers were or even what was made in some cases ( case in point there is only 1 220A know to exist, I have one of only 3 -6F stoves know to have been made ).

Worse still outright fakes are produced from the parts.
What was once something rare and of value is completely destroyed.
Here is what appears to be a real and rare 220 gold bond.
Looks all correct too me.
back a few years ago this would have fetched hundreds of dollars.
But no one will touch it now because so many were faked...
Coleman Gold Bond Model 228H Two Mantle Lantern Original | eBay

All this stupidity has triggered a price collapse.
At first you think well that's no so bad eh.
But it is bad....
Now people toss out things because they think its junk.
The best parts and lanterns were scavenged years ago on ebay.

Last edited:
I have daily ebay searches set for some of the old motorcycles I need parts for, like a muffler for my Honda MB5 and an air box for my Honda NC50. Those items are sought after and rarely appear. But what I do see almost every day is for a guy to take an otherwise good-looking machine and sell it piece by piece. Every last nut, bolt and transmission gear offered individually. I often wonder what happens to the bits that don't sell quickly. Off to the scrap yard? Or do these guys wind up sitting on boxes and boxes of disassembled bikes? :shrug:

I have daily ebay searches set for some of the old motorcycles I need parts for, like a muffler for my Honda MB5 and an air box for my Honda NC50. Those items are sought after and rarely appear. But what I do see almost every day is for a guy to take an otherwise good-looking machine and sell it piece by piece. Every last nut, bolt and transmission gear offered individually. I often wonder what happens to the bits that don't sell quickly. Off to the scrap yard? Or do these guys wind up sitting on boxes and boxes of disassembled bikes? :shrug:
Scrap Tom.

Until one day the scraps have value.
Then people will sell counterfeit parts.

Neck

Growing up is optional
One man's trash is another man's Treasure. Funny and sad how that happens. I'm sure my wife would be happy seeing all my bikes and parts in a dumpster on the street being loaded onto the back of a roll off truck. And if I should happen to pass suddenly, I would almost bet that's what would happen to them. I better go make sure my wife has Mac's phone number! And I think I'll go put a tag on the Super Taco with your number on it Jeff.

One man's trash is another man's Treasure. ...
Hahaha... I read the post about the Coleman lanterns and thought "Who cares? It's just an old lantern." Then I thought some more about what this site's all about. I forget sometimes that although it doesn't seem possible, not everybody digs old minibikes, either. :laugh: