I was sooo excited to buy my 5 hp Briggs, but then...

I discovered the shaft is one inch!!!!:censure::doah::confused::sadcrying4:

Is there anyone who can give guidance how to REDUCE this one inch shaft to a 3/4 or 5/8?

Very depressing.

oldfatguy

You have two choices,turn it down to size in a lathe or replace the crank.It might cost more to machine it than to buy another crank.the other choice is to buy a 1 inch clutch and avoid having to pull it apart.Either way it's going to cost a few bucks so that you can use it.:doah:

The $50 clutches are outboard, meaning they sit way out on the end of the shaft and don't slip on more than half the width of the clutch. You can cut the shaft down but make sure drill and tap it first to use the old hole as a guide, THEN your bike might need a jack shaft to line up.

Other option is to pay $100 or more and get a 1" that slips on like a regular clutch. (more than the cost of the engine :wink: )

The length of shaft is same length as the 5.5 clone but 1 inch thick.

Curious, does any briggs 3/4 shaft fit in the 5 hp?

what price is it for a new or used shaft and how would the seals in the casing work being made for the 1 inch shaft or would replacing with 3/4 seals fit?

You can take the shaft out and turn down and re key, one of the guys here dose it but i don't rember who or what he charges. you might search old posts, also you might check your local mower repair shops. but i bet by the time you do all that and wait it will probably be just as cheap to buy a clutch or another used engine and save that one for a later project . :thumbsup:

anything ever come of this? i kno this is pretty old but i also have a 5hp 1 incher that i dont have the gut to blow over 100 bucks on just for a clutch when i paid $0.00 for the motor off of an old leaf vac that i found in the trash. its a shame that its collecting dust when it runs like new

I have a question. Has anyone tried putting a 1" ID sprocket on the engine? Running it to a 3/4" jackshaft with another sprocket on it? Then on the other side of the jackshaft to a clutch which goes to the rear wheel? Just a little backwards but it should work in theory.... Randy