idle help

i just finished swapping a 10hp Tecumseh from a snow-blower into my go kart. i fully cleaned the carb and have the throttle hooked up to carb with out governor. it starts easy and runs great but i cant get it to idle low enough to fully release the torque converter. if i turn the stop screw down where it sounds right after a few seconds it bogs down and dies. to me it doesn't look like there's any adjustments on this carb other than the idle stop screw. there is one jet on the side right above the bowl but im pretty sure its not adjustable because it had a cover over it and if its not fully seated it seems loose.

Attachments

I saw your post originally and didn't respond, hoping someone with more knowledge would chime in.

Do you have a clutch problem, or do you have a carb problem. You swapped carbs, so I assume this has been a problem. You have a non-adjustable carb. Most of us get rid of them for that reason. They're made to power equipment at a steady RPM under load, not the way we use them on karts and bikes.

Do some research and find a Tec carb that fits your engine, but is adjustable. Ebay sells Oregon carbs that work okay.

The other part of the story is your drive system. It shouldn't be engaging until up around 1800 RPM. A sticky clutch driver can cause it to engage sooner. Have you lubricated it with dry lube? That needs to happen every few hours of run time and makes a big difference on performance. Another thing is your belt length. You should have around 1/4" of gap around the driver bushing and belt with the engine off.

Just some things to check or ponder off the top of my head. Not easy to troubleshoot something over the internet. :wink:

joshua. c.

that looks like a fixed jet carb, if there's no screw on the bottom it is one. the screw on the side in an idle jet not meant to be messed with. but if you need it to idle better you can turn it a bit to line the jet up a bit better, its less than 1/4 a turn. it will be loose after doing that. the best way to solve it is to actually take the jet out and scratch up the threads a bit so it wont turn as easily but not to much it still needs to screw back in. I did this to a fixed jet carb on a smaller Tecumseh and it worked perfect.

that looks like a fixed jet carb, if there's no screw on the bottom it is one. the screw on the side in an idle jet not meant to be messed with. but if you need it to idle better you can turn it a bit to line the jet up a bit better, its less than 1/4 a turn. it will be loose after doing that. the best way to solve it is to actually take the jet out and scratch up the threads a bit so it wont turn as easily but not to much it still needs to screw back in. I did this to a fixed jet carb on a smaller Tecumseh and it worked perfect.
thanks for the idea. i just tried this but no matter how much i tried to scratch up the threads with a screw driver it still turns too easy of loose. i was thinking of trying to find a small spring to put on it like a normal adjustment screw. and to the post above i know i have an idle issue im not worried about the clutch. just judging by sound before i even had the clutch on i could tell it seemed at the lowest idle i could get it stable still sounded to idle to high

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500

Without Spring, Washer and O-Ring the needle will not hold adjusted position.

Without Washer and O-Ring it will have a Air leak, lean adjustment.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
This carb kit will give you the missing parts for the idle jet And an adjustable High speed jet jet the bowl.

E-bay # 261668349579 You might find cheaper on e-bay, this is just the first I came upon.

Look that screw is supposed to have a spring on it , to keep it from doing what it's doing . Also if you have that screw then more than likely you have one on the bottom of the bowl. If you google tuning a tech carb you will find instructions on setting both screws . Also you need a air filter on it to get it tuned right . Don't put plumbers tape on it either . Buy a rebuild kit from OldMiniBikes it will have all you need to fix it , including the spring for the screw .