idle is to high.

hey guys,

I installed my 6.5 clone in to my sons doodle beast and hooked up everything to it including the oh sh$t button.

I give it a couple of pulls and it starts right up.

But... the darn things idles about 1/4 throttle. I reach under the gas and choke levers and pull the black piece that has the long rod and springs hook to and the idle goes to normal. But as soon as I let it go... VRRRRMMMM! Right back up there again.

I check the springs and they aren't pulling it. It seems like the rod on the cylinder that goes to the carb is whats causing it???

Any idea's?

Thanks for your time.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I'm puzzled, sometimes it's best to just take it to a local lawnmower shop and have them fix it for cheap then to waist a lot of time. It can be a air leak, something stuck, just about anything. The only way for me to know would be if I had the motor in hand to check it out myself.

You are talking about the govenor hole, it can be that, but you have to check better. Remember we can only go by what you tell us.

is that arm called the governor arm? Okay, about that arm... is there something under the arm that the shaft it is hooked to or does it just pivot there?

I think I may have hook the tiny spring on the wrong hole????
Is the tiny spring supposed to be in the same hole as the ridged linkage shaft? The one that goes around the chrome linkage? Am I making any since of this to any one? :confused:

maybe I should crawl away now.:eek:ut:

post pictures of how you have it set up.

trying to figure out these problems is much easier when you can see what the person is talking about.

no rubbing at all. I have check that all out.

View attachment 11379
the blk plastic piece I have in the red circle... if I push on that piece the idle will go back to normal. The spring isn't holding it it seems like the rod that goes to the engine, I think it's the governor?? will pull it back to high idle.

if this is still presenting a problem try this:

disconnect the throttle linkage from the carb, take the carburetor completely off, then reinstall the linkage and the carb. This doesn't take much tools to do. The linkage might not be seated all the way.

Last edited:
Try taking the gas tank off and make sure there is an arm going for the throttle linkage to the governor arm. You should see it as soon as the tank is off. This is what my engine was missing. If the arm is there, check the springs.

Try taking the gas tank off and make sure there is an arm going for the throttle linkage to the governor arm. You should see it as soon as the tank is off. This is what my engine was missing. If the arm is there, check the springs.
My engine isn't missing. I can see sitting right there on the frame. :thumbsup: J/K

My Engine doesn't have a miss, the engine runs smooth it just has a fast idle until I reach in and push the butterfly blade closed to normal position.

I can see under the fuel tank that the spring and lever is attached to the governor rod and has no binding at all.

I think I will remove the spring from the carb and see what happens.

On a side note... what happens when you remove the spring and lever from under the fuel tank?