Idle Issue: Stock 6.5 Clone Engine (brand new). NEED HELP!

jprice

OldMiniBikes.com
I would disconnect the throttle and try moving the lever on the engine,see if it snaps back after open it up, if it does i would look into your throttle its self,it may be binding at the bars or its too tight , i would lossin it up ,or maybe even open it up and add a touch of wd-40 if its binding at the engine lever add a touch of wd-40 there also,you dont need much,
as far as it dying out, its been rumored that sometimes the factory puts the carb gaskets on backwards, if the gasket is on backwards were the carb bolts to the engine it will close off the air passage , check out all the gaskets and just be sure they arent blocking the air holes, the factory does hundreds of motors a day im sure and its an easy mistake to make,

Finally...PROGRESS!

I can get it to start now and idle for a good minute (even at open choke position.) It runs good with plenty of power, but then all of a sudden when I come to an idle, it would idle for a few seconds then unexpectedly shut off. When I first got it going, the idle screw was set way too high. I backed it out nearly all the way just to bring the idle down to the point so that the clutch doesn't engage.

For whatever reason, fuel wasn't flowing when the fuel switch was turned to the "ON" position. I removed the bowl underneath the switch (10mm) and blew the passage where fuel enters the carburetor with compressed air. Retested, and fuel started flowing. Reassembled everything back together and she started right up.

I didn't realize how much torque these little motors have! I literally almost fell off the bike while attempting a full throttle rev from a dead stop. Crazy!

Anyways, if you guys have any other suggestions on how to keep the engine idling solid, I would really appreciate it. Perhaps I'll disable the low oil pressure sensor. Is it really necessary to cut a wire(s), or is it a matter of simply unplugging?

I just unplugged it on my gx160. Left the ground connected. I've flipped it numerous times and it still runs upside down until I hit the kill switch. Works for me

Got it to idle perfect for a good 10 minutes! However, under WOT (wide open throttle) it feels like the engine is starving for fuel (no power). Acceleration is strong, but it feels lean up top. Also, when de-accelerating, the engine makes popping noises out the exhaust. I'm sure I just need to make the fuel mixture a little richer. Can this be done with the stock carb? Already installed the GX140 emulsion tube, #90 main jet, k&n filter w/adapter, and header. Even with the governor intact, I'm pretty sure the motor should hit 25-30mph smoothly without any hesitation.

What else should I check for?

the popping sound is probably just because you're running a header, I have to ask, why not just return the engine to stock form and get a new engine under warranty?

Because I highly doubt it's engine related. It has good compression, good spark, it's just not getting the fuel it needs. I could feel that there is a restriction of fuel somewhere. Will likely disassemble the carb again and inspect it more carefully. Might consider upgrading to a Tilly carb and call it a day.

Ratbike

Got it to idle perfect for a good 10 minutes! However, under WOT (wide open throttle) it feels like the engine is starving for fuel (no power). Acceleration is strong, but it feels lean up top. Also, when de-accelerating, the engine makes popping noises out the exhaust. I'm sure I just need to make the fuel mixture a little richer. Can this be done with the stock carb? Already installed the GX140 emulsion tube, #90 main jet, k&n filter w/adapter, and header. Even with the governor intact, I'm pretty sure the motor should hit 25-30mph smoothly without any hesitation.

What else should I check for?
That may be the governor backing the throttle off...If it goes like hell @ first then when you get to speed and falls off then that is probably what it is.

Ratbike

Here's how my throttle linkage is set up:

Spark plug reading:
If you have not cleaned the idle jet I would do so. I had idle problems with a new motor as well... It is located under the idle adjustment screw,back out the idle screw completely and under it is a black plastic piece as seen in the above pic, use a pair of needle nose and carefully pull it out as to not damage the small rubber O ring inside then blow the jet and the remaining hole out with compressed air.:thumbsup:

Ratbike

Still can't get it to idle for more than a minute. It starts up after sitting overnight, then dies once I slowly open the choke. The spark plugs are wet from excess fuel and black. Is the stock LG spark plug that comes with the motor really that bad? It's getting a little annoying. :no:

New mods added = new look
Your throttle return problem may be from the cable binding where it goes into your housing you are using.I run my cables almost all the way back to the back frame behind the seat so the cable goes straight into the housing. So the cable will not bind. I see you put on another spring which should help. Also wd-040 the cable at the throttle and the housing...good luck:thumbsup:

Ratbike

Because I highly doubt it's engine related. It has good compression, good spark, it's just not getting the fuel it needs. I could feel that there is a restriction of fuel somewhere. Will likely disassemble the carb again and inspect it more carefully. Might consider upgrading to a Tilly carb and call it a day.
I have never had to update to a different carb on any of my projects...I always thought them to be expensive for the results in my opinion..:shrug: