If you don't change your oil who would you trust?

Since free maintenance is part of owning a lot of new vehicles these days. Including mine and my wife's vehicles. I take it to the dealership. Having your vehicle serviced at a dealership and having all the records helps when there is an issue. Just because a vehicle is "out" of warranty doesn't mean you can't get it fixed under what is known as "goodwill" warranty. If you are a loyal service customer they want you to be happy so that you buy another vehicle from them and continue to be a "good" customer. There is money put aside for problems and is often used for "good" customers. I have been with an auto group for going on 25 years and I know how the game is played... We don't own a Toyota dealership but My wife and I drive Toyotas. I have gotten to know the owner of the dealership and have gotten him involved in the last 7 new vehicles I have purchased. He knows he will not make a single penny on me selling me the vehicle but I service them with him religiously. So he gets it over time. I guarantee him good surveys and when I sell my vehicles or trade them in I get top dollar(and that is a fact,I am the wholesale manager for an auto group and have sold over 50,000 vehicles in my career so I know what my trades are worth). I get top dollar for them because I have every service record. Trust me,when you have a record of every oil change and service from a franchised dealer it is worth much more than if you do from a quick lube or by doing them yourself. The money and time you think you are saving by doing them yourself is only costing you money. Unless you drive your vehicles into the ground and junk them when you are done. Then it doesnt matter.
Dealers are the worst, they up and over charge you every chance they get. You can pull into a lot and watch the vultures attack. :laugh:

There is no better resale value in oil change records between dealer or quickly lubes that will make up the difference in cost and time. You have better chances by keeping your car mint and clean and keeping your own records in a book including gas and MPG. But who does that anymore. I've never seen a dealer ask for oil records!

Dealers give you by far the worst price on used cars. If you trade in they get you on both ends. Better to buy and sell used private sale.

I had a truck that just ran out of warranty, I took it in for an engine light and they wanted to charge huge for all O2 sensors,,,,,THEN they said I need a new belt and a bunch of other stuff! I had just replaced the belt a week ago! :rolleyes:

I went ape $hit on them in front of all the other suckers. :laugh: the ONE o2 sensor needed was cheap at a parts store and they reset the code free. Saved $300-$400 on their made up list.

when it comes to any vehicle or product Ignorance will cost you money. Problem with new cars is all the complicated crap they put on them which adds to helplessness. Also they are way to expensive. $50.000+ for a new 4x4? My first house cost that! :eek:ut:

I once even had a Jap truck the dealer couldn't fix! Had to have been the computer but the couldn't fix it! :eek:ut:

I bet I can do an oil change twice as fast as anyone going there and back, do it cheaper AND with a BETTER oil filter! No special trips or lines, buy ahead of time when the stuff is on sale , local stores even ship free.

No excuses. :laugh::surrender:

When mine was under warranty (100,000 mile) I took it to the Pennzoil place just so I wouldn't have a hassle if there was a claim. They did a good job, but always tried to sell me a cabin air filter or something.

Now I do it myself & save a ton of $$.

The wife's mini cooper only needs changed once a year :laugh: She drives maybe 20 miles a week.
Careful, oil is also about time not just miles. Old dirty oil can eat. :no: goes for mini's too. :laugh:

Bikerscum

Careful, oil is also about time not just miles. Old dirty oil can eat. :no: goes for mini's too. :laugh:
The Mini tells you when it needs to be changed.... it's one year if the mileage is low.

The dealer won't even change it under scheduled maintenance until then.

It also needs no transmission fluid. Ever, unless there is a leak. There is nowhere to check it.

Dealers are the worst, they up and over charge you every chance they get. You can pull into a lot and watch the vultures attack. :laugh:

There is no better resale value in oil change records between dealer or quickly lubes that will make up the difference in cost and time. You have better chances by keeping your car mint and clean and keeping your own records in a book including gas and MPG. But who does that anymore. I've never seen a dealer ask for oil records!

Dealers give you by far the worst price on used cars. If you trade in they get you on both ends. Better to buy and sell used private sale.

I had a truck that just ran out of warranty, I took it in for an engine light and they wanted to charge huge for all O2 sensors,,,,,THEN they said I need a new belt and a bunch of other stuff! I had just replaced the belt a week ago! :rolleyes:

I went ape $hit on them in front of all the other suckers. :laugh: the ONE o2 sensor needed was cheap at a parts store and they reset the code free. Saved $300-$400 on their made up list.

when it comes to any vehicle or product Ignorance will cost you money. Problem with new cars is all the complicated crap they put on them which adds to helplessness. Also they are way to expensive. $50.000+ for a new 4x4? My first house cost that! :eek:ut:

I once even had a Jap truck the dealer couldn't fix! Had to have been the computer but the couldn't fix it! :eek:ut:

I bet I can do an oil change twice as fast as anyone going there and back, do it cheaper AND with a BETTER oil filter! No special trips or lines, buy ahead of time when the stuff is on sale , local stores even ship free.

No excuses. :laugh::surrender:
Actually a lot of dealers charge no more for an oil change than most quick lubes.

Absolutely, vehicles serviced at a dealer with full records are worth more than one serviced at a Jiffy Lube. They don't ask you because you can pull a Carfax and see where it was serviced.

Dealers aren't going to pay you Retail for your car. So if it is a retail piece you would be better going through the hassle of selling it yourself. But most cars traded are traded for a reason. Nobody trades a perfect car. When your tranny is slipping you aren't going to retail it. And neither is the dealer. That is why it is a wholesale price and not a retail price.

Did that O2 sensor fix it? The difference is when you have a dealer install a part that part usually comes with a 1 year parts AND labor warranty. When you put in a part from a parts store and the NEW part is bad do they pay you for your labor to do it again?

Sometimes they recommend doing things to your car based on mileage or time. The tech doesn't always report to the service advisor every new part put in. I am sure they would recommend a Timing belt based on time or miles. But the tech isn't going to take a cover off to inspect it.

Price is well.... The price is the price. That is just what things cost these days. My house has more than doubled since I bought it in 96'. I paid $135000 and I could get $350000 just for the land and someone would tear it down and build a $700000 house on my 1/4 acre lot. I suggest you buy what you can afford. As far as being complicated. Its only complicated if you haven't been trained or cant afford the software. Some of the laptop computers we use are $50000 with the hardware and software. Made specifically for our vehicles. The right to repair bill allows anyone to repair cars like the dealers. But most do not want to pay what it takes to get the proper tools. Never mind any sort of training.. So you get some fool looking stuff up on Google trying to diagnose a problem and throwing parts at it.

If they couldn't fix the computer then how do you know it was the computer? Did you put a computer in it and fix it?

The point was that a lot of manufacturers are offering service at no charge for the first XXX miles. FREE so why wouldn't you have a dealer do it instead of wasting your time?

Gumpit, I was going to quote your post and respond, but that takes up too much space on the page.

I am an ASE certified Master Auto Tech, I have Vagcom for the daughters VW. I have Ford Enhanced for my Fords. I have a Snap-On Scantool with the latest updates. I do my own repairs. Period.

What is my time worth? Can't be stated monetarily as it is priceless in what it saves me in not only money, but the time that could otherwise be spent where? In the dealer's waiting lounge?

My 2000 F250 came with 36k of free maintenance. I have done it since. And I keep records on all my family's vehicles. I go to dealers to buy specific parts, and that's it.

Oh, and BTW, I enter the records on Carfax through MyCarfax.....

It is true not many are like me and go to this level, but I find it pays off for me.

MyCarfax will email me when it is time for routine maintenance. Good deal for me all around.

Last edited:
It also needs no transmission fluid. Ever, unless there is a leak. There is nowhere to check it.
This is actually more common than you think with newer vehicles. The daughters VW is a sealed unit with "lifetime" fluid. That lifetime is the 100k powertrain warranty. She now has a rebuilt trans, by me, since hers failed at 160k.

There is actually a lock on the fill tube for her tranny that has to be broken to check it or put more in... No dipstick.

Last edited:
Actually a lot of dealers charge no more for an oil change than most quick lubes.

Absolutely, vehicles serviced at a dealer with full records are worth more than one serviced at a Jiffy Lube. They don't ask you because you can pull a Carfax and see where it was serviced.

Dealers aren't going to pay you Retail for your car. So if it is a retail piece you would be better going through the hassle of selling it yourself. But most cars traded are traded for a reason. Nobody trades a perfect car. When your tranny is slipping you aren't going to retail it. And neither is the dealer. That is why it is a wholesale price and not a retail price.

Did that O2 sensor fix it? The difference is when you have a dealer install a part that part usually comes with a 1 year parts AND labor warranty. When you put in a part from a parts store and the NEW part is bad do they pay you for your labor to do it again?

Sometimes they recommend doing things to your car based on mileage or time. The tech doesn't always report to the service advisor every new part put in. I am sure they would recommend a Timing belt based on time or miles. But the tech isn't going to take a cover off to inspect it.

Price is well.... The price is the price. That is just what things cost these days. My house has more than doubled since I bought it in 96'. I paid $135000 and I could get $350000 just for the land and someone would tear it down and build a $700000 house on my 1/4 acre lot. I suggest you buy what you can afford. As far as being complicated. Its only complicated if you haven't been trained or cant afford the software. Some of the laptop computers we use are $50000 with the hardware and software. Made specifically for our vehicles. The right to repair bill allows anyone to repair cars like the dealers. But most do not want to pay what it takes to get the proper tools. Never mind any sort of training.. So you get some fool looking stuff up on Google trying to diagnose a problem and throwing parts at it.

If they couldn't fix the computer then how do you know it was the computer? Did you put a computer in it and fix it?

The point was that a lot of manufacturers are offering service at no charge for the first XXX miles. FREE so why wouldn't you have a dealer do it instead of wasting your time?
What about after free service and XXX miles? Is the huge cost of a dealer car worth a few free services ? And Why would I want something only ONE company could fix?

"Buy what I can afford"? :confused1: my wife insisted on a new car it was around $30.000 asking price and we paid cash. I "own" two homes, one is $4700 SF on 50 acres and a killer view and Jurassic park back yard , the other is tax appraised around $400.000 I have no bills other than utilities .AND >>> I CHANGE MY OWN DAMN OIL and Fix my own stuff when I can. ( I'm not even a smart guy) Hell, I just fixed a noise in one of my dryers, had to take it all apart! And guess what? I did learn it on google / youtube! :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

proof >>>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfhuvH8zHk

As for the one truck The mechanic >looked< at the car and said I needed a belt. ( Total BS) yes, I fixed it. ( one cheap o2 sensor )

On The jap truck it was their product and only THEY could diagnose it , this gives them a huge edge and after much of my $$ spent and many days in the shop they took a guess with no promises and wanted extortion for a new computer! I went and got one out of parts truck for $75 then sold the pig off.

All trade-ins don't have problems, people don't keep their cars anymore and many buy new after a few years and are lazy and trade to the dealer instead of going on CL .Dealers just throw a cheap price at it with a glance. Car fax oil changes mean nothing, you can have serious internal problems that don't show on a car fax. There's tons of horror stories of dealers not backing their warranties and doing band aid fixes. I once had a new truck that had a squeaky rear wheel, sure they replaced the brake pad and looked at it 3 times but never fixed the warped hub! ( yep "I" got it fixed)

It's much cheaper buying a clean one owner from the owner with a good test drive and eyes and ears. Saves you half the price of a dealer and you can't tell me it costs $60.000 to make a new Toyota truck! And it took them years to make them pull a trailer and they still can't pull with the others! Even the ooooooold trucks. :laugh:

Real estate and cars are different markets, you don't remember housing being down in most of the country? All the contractors out of work? Oboob is about to do what Clinton did and make it easy to get loans again to pump the economy, then your house will go way up (again) for the short term until we hit rock bottom again when the banks are holding the bag from dead beats that had no business getting such a loan in the first place and everything crashes Then the car manufactures die again and cars come down a few bucks but people are struggling to pay the loan on their now old cars because they buy beyond their means.

You talk of risk and warranty but that's just salesman scare tactics and side talk . No offense to "you" , I'm sure you're a nice guy but I have a spot for car salesmen along with politicians and lawyers. :wink:

Sorry My butt don't take well to blowing smoke. :sailor: but many butts will. :doah:

( Advice) Do things yourself when you can , educate yourself on things that really matter day to day, spend within your means and sock some away. You own NOTHING until it's payed off. Trust only those you can trust, expect the unexpected and be prepared for just about anything. When things are bad work through it.

Oh,,,,, and change your own damn oil. :laugh:

Back from when I started driving, I guess about 27 years ago, I would always change my own oil.i did most of my own repairs, had my chilton, and hanes books.i would always use wix filters, heard they were better.well, after many years and a bad back, no garage, and a gravel driveway, I gave in and started going to firestone, after a couple of times going, I had realized they somehow stripped the drain plug, plus they had it so dam tight, I went back to changing my own again for a few years. Well nowadays, I take the gamble and go to the quicklube places, and hear them ask do you want this or that, or its time u need this, I just tell them, only oil change. I usually use coupons, I use to enjoy, doing my oil changes, but after working my ass off all week in a warehouse, dont enjoy it so much. I just moved recently, and now have a garage 21x29 so I might go back to changing my own again, we shall see. I have even went to calverts express before,15 dollar oil change, dont know where they get that cheap ass oil, probably was a huge mistake.

Gumpit, I was going to quote your post and respond, but that takes up too much space on the page.

I am an ASE certified Master Auto Tech, I have Vagcom for the daughters VW. I have Ford Enhanced for my Fords. I have a Snap-On Scantool with the latest updates. I do my own repairs. Period.

What is my time worth? Can't be stated monetarily as it is priceless in what it saves me in not only money, but the time that could otherwise be spent where? In the dealer's waiting lounge?

My 2000 F250 came with 36k of free maintenance. I have done it since. And I keep records on all my family's vehicles. I go to dealers to buy specific parts, and that's it.

Oh, and BTW, I enter the records on Carfax through MyCarfax.....

It is true not many are like me and go to this level, but I find it pays off for me.

MyCarfax will email me when it is time for routine maintenance. Good deal for me all around.
Ooooops, I did quote him and took up space. :laugh:

Ohhhh I want to talk to you, I just picked up a barn find ( literally kept in a barn), roll up and wing windows!:sorcerer: it's got 90.000 original owner 1990 xlt lariat short cab F250 4x4 with a 5 speed and big daddy 460, 4.10 rear and can pull a damn building down. :laugh: winch brush guard, always loved that square body style and HD steel but my Gawd the wiring and vac hoses on the thing. :doah: don't have to do emissions from now on. Would like to yank every freeking tree hugging thing off without screwing it up or at least cut the cat and weld a flow muffler and back pipes.

Had some choice words doing the spark plugs , should have gone under for some, been doing all the fluids , replaced to steer pump for noise ($45) and it runs good but have some questions since I'm not a mechanic/ trouble shooter.

Hope it's ok to PM some annoying questions! :biggrin:

buckeye

They day I spend 30 grand on a vehicle, I will have won the lotto.:eek:ut:

I am cheap as they come. How or why in the world a couple who only drives to work and around town has to have 40-60 grand wrapped up in something that sits in the garage most of the time is beyond me. Either I am poor or they are so far in debt that they will be making payments the rest of their lives.
I'd rather have something I can let sit in the driveway, that starts rveryday, and gets us where we need, that is paid for, than 20-30 grand worth of car to look cool.
No matter what I drive, I don't look cool anymore.:laugh:

My gf's mom has a gmc terrain you can not check the trains fluid only a dealer level scan tool can and repairs at home forget about it.

The damn engine bay is covered in a plastic shield and if you want to change the oil at home you need to vacuum it out!

I know some people use cars a fashion statement and thats fine but I'll stick to my 14 dollar oil changes and my 97 saturn that cost me less then a 100 bucks a month for gas insurance and maintenance I really love the 40 mpg its damn close to my xj650!

markus

toomany, On your yota if your are going to change your own oil I would keep records, copies of the receipts for oil and filters and a good log at least. Since the power train internals are covered well beyond the 3/36, if something goes wrong down the line that could bite you in the ass when there is nothing showing them the car ever got serviced.

I would also suggest using genuine toyota cartridge filters and orings, the gasketed washer on the drain plug as well should be replaced too. Pulling out the aftermarket cartridge filter in a car that had been to a mom and pop or a quick lube previously it would look all contorted as it didnt fit right or twists as you screw it in, the oring would be all bloated out and swollen moreso than the oem one. and the element itself just usually seemed chinsy compared to the oem ones. Even if I went and had it changed at a quick lube or something when you find a coupon etc.. I would still want that oem filter used over their generic house brand. Even the older style spin on filters, toyota ones have strong casings and good elements.

A good wrench to use on the yota is the AST, The one without the hole seemed to be the better one out of the 2. I think it was on the Corolla, that one with the hole half the time would not break it loose and want to slip (even cracked one once) but the one without the hole most of the time would get it, for some reason that filter was always REALLY tight on those compared to all the other models. using it with long handle ratchet and socket was the most effective for me. these were the best as far as slipping over those crappy universal wrench set steel ones they do like to stick to the cartridge housing sometimes though. the toyota filter assy seemed to be a tighter fit over other car brands that use that style filter.

have fun...

I once towed a Porsche that had just had the oil changed. Well it seems the tech, for lack of a better word, at the local ford dealership forgot to tighten the drain screw and it fell out halfway between lubbock and levelland.

I own a few cars and I change everyone of them. Cheap Walmart brand oil in the jeep and mercury. Castrol Edge in the vette.

Am I any better? Not by a long shot. I once worked at a dealership doing lubes, tire changes, minor repairs. One day at 11:45 three vehicles came in for an oil change and rotation. They had a strict lunch policy. You must take lunch from 12 to 12:30 No way could have I made it on time, but i did it in 20 minutes. With a helper we ran all 3 up on lifts and I went down the row draining each, new filters, then greasing each. Lowered them part way, then did the rotations. Put them on the ground then topped all the fluids under the hood and filled the oil. Damn I'm good I thought. Monday came around, I wasn't so good. Seems somebody didn't drain the oil out of the 3rd vehicle and refilled the crankcase with 6 more quarts. Whoopsie. They had to replace the guys front and rear seals to make him happy.