ignition timing

slam49

what is the stock timing set at on 5 horse flatties? I need to know this value so i know how much to move it. also the offset keys come in thousandths. how many degrees per .020, or how do they figure that, is it 1 degree for every .010 offset?

slam49

It's a briggs 5 horse with points and a cast iron stock flywheel.

I thought the briggs part was self explanatory since I posted I the briggs section.

Last edited:
I figured it was around 26 or 27* stock?
I have never measured the piston depth at points closure to determine degrees. (Note that Tecumseh gives timing specs in "inches" before top dead center)

The thing is, there is a lot of flywheel travel across the magneto while the field expands and collapses. So in reality, wouldn't the "timing" be a very loose number? Using magnetron systems, you lose the points and condenser, so again, that has to be a loooong ignition cycle.

Cam swaps make advance keys necessary- with gasoline, about 3 degrees, and alky 5? You might try sending 125ccCrazy a PM on this subject, as he really knows his stuff, especially with Briggs FH's.

slam49

Yea I put in a 94ss and they call for 30-32. Cant be that hard to figure out. Guess I'll figure it out with a multi meter and a degree wheel. Seems over ambitious for such a simple task but if it unknown territory then I must

Last edited:
Yea I put in a 94ss and they call for 30-32. Cant be that hard to figure out. Guess I'll figure it out with a multi meter and a degree wheel. Seems over ambitious for such a simple task but if it unknown territory then I must
It's not unknown territory. You just explained the correct way to set the timing. Advance key's are a locator or reference point.