I'm pretty sure my carb is bad, can i get a second opinion?

Hey guys I have a semi-built 5hp Briggs with a pull choke carb. I milled the head .30 cut the eyebrows. The engine has a custom ground cam in it. First off it is very tricky to start sometimes and even if it's been running it (and hot) will only start with full choke. Once I get it running, it'll run perfect for about ten minutes then flood out and stall and then it won't start back up. I don't run an air cleaner right now, but looking into the carburetor it is saturated with gas. Also when it stalls out the outer of the gas tank has gas all over it like it burbed or something. Can I use a raptor carb with my tank? Or do I have to go with another pull choke carb?

sounds like your running a pulsa jet carb so just get another one theres a few on ebay ive seen recently and the problems with it acting up what little i know on diagnostics may be somthing with the main jet or a/f mix but get a second or much better opinion any of these other guys can tell you for sure they really know there stuff

Before anything else, check to see if the vent in your gas cap is plugged. Try to blow through the hole in the cap. A plugged vent can cause all kinds of problems.

The gas cap has a little restriction, but I can blow through it pretty easily. I'm just going to buy a raptor carb and tank set up and hopefully be done with it:shrug:.

Do you have a fresh diaphragm in your carby?

Also, use 2 carb-to-tank gaskets and tighten em down SOLID.
Make sure your carb-to-block bolts are tight too.

Or, just carry a can of ether.

I have a fresh diaphragm and soaked the carb in carb cleaner for 24 hours because before that it wouldn't even run. And yes I live in new York and ride open header back and forth to work. Not a neighbor has complained yet:scooter:

theres nothing wrong with a pull choke carb if its set up correctly. they make the best stock appearing carb in my opinion anyway.
They have very very poor air flow.. At LEAST the modern carbs with a butterfly choke has a round hole all the way through the carb.. No stupid 90 degree bend, sucking through two little slots ignorant crap.. :facepalm:

Then they ALL only have ONE fuel metering screw to adjust a full range of performance with..

Any of the Pulsejet carbs RUN decent.. as long as it you CAN change the fuel setting.. .. Put the rototiller to (rabbit) and adjust the fuel to work right there... I mean, they start and function good.. (on a lawn mower) but RUN like actually RUN and RIP, PLUS idle.. they are the worst carb ever built.. :laugh:

i have some vacu jets that always start right up, and run great, none for sale just giving my input. they do have a little hesitation on first take off, but other than that no problems ever.

you are right trk, you have way more knowledge than me about the motors and carbs, i was just giving my opinion on them. my kid can go out there and start the mini with ease, and he does not need to get to a fast speed quick, not at his age.