Improving my Doodle Bug

2SlickNick

I have removed my homemade jackshaft and mount that housed my 20 series 7" driven. I have replaced that with a 30 series.
I have cut the devil's tail sissy bar and angled it down. It was to dangerous sticking out like I had it.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/doodlebug-minibikes/106894-doodle-devil-7-driven.html

I have cut off side mount gas tank and will relocate that. I will still be using this bike to pull my sidecar.
Riding the mini bike with sidecar - YouTube

While winter is here I am adding a springer seat and a front suspension. I will use this thread to show the progress of my Baja Doodle Devil:devil2:

Baja Doodle Bug springer seat / rear suspension. - YouTube

2SlickNick

Last edited:

2SlickNick

Thanks.
I forgot to mention - I got the idea from another OldMiniBikes member. The db30 forks are 7/8"OD and those shocks have a 7/8" ID. So with just a little deburring and running a flap wheel over the DB forks, the shocks slid right on. I cut to match the stock db fork length.

I did consider making the forks longer and having the db sit back almost like a chopper. I just wasn't sure about how that trail and rake would work out...
Maybe I will do that to another db- one that isn't hauling a sidecar.

2SlickNick

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I still need to prime and paint foot pegs and kick stand. Get hydraulic brake and connect throttle. I did mount my custom tank holder and the gold chain. I took it for a quick spin using the throttle right off the engine and without brakes. I can feel a noticeable difference in ride comfort. Once roads dry up a little I will post video of updates and my review on it.

I have to update with vids until I buy a supporting membership and have unlimited pictures

2SlickNick

how much did you have to cut off the forks toget them to fit right???
I think I cut off somewhere around 4" on DB forks and maybe 7" on the shocks. You could cut more of less from one or the other. I banged my head a few times doing the math.

Since I wanted to keep the same length as stock, I did cut less from the DB forks and more from the shocks. The DB forks steel is much thicker and stronger, so I wanted it to stay strong and not flex. Meaning there is a good amount of DB forks sleeved inside the shocks.

If that makes any sense.

I did pretty close to how TWAR did... http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/d...ovox-mbx11-front-suspension-doodlebug-17.html

2SlickNick

I fogot to mention, the ride is GREAT! The front end soaks up nearly all the imperfections in the road. The rear end feels better than stock. I am 210 lbs and it is a little stiff but much improved from stock. I think the springs might have some more give as it continues to break-in.

The gearing is 38t axle sprocket, 9t JS sprocket, on the 12-13" tires.
Using 6" 30 series driven. It can still pull the front wheel up on acceleration and is pretty fast to me.
Since I am moving to AZ I shouldn't have a problem pulling the sidecar on the flat terrain out there.

If I were to stAy in the WV hills I would drop down to a 8t Js sprocket.

Overall I am very happy with the improvements.