internal expanding brake?

i havent had a lot of luck with that type of break ,but outhers have, so your response on that question will be all over the place ,some like them ,some hate them .:wink:

edwin

i am planning on redoing one of my minibikes, i want to use these wheels:

AZ10154 - 10" Steel Wheel w/Riveted #35 Sprockets & Drums-60 Tooth, 5/8" Bearing

these wheels call for a internal expanding brake:

AZ2208 - 4-1/2" Anchor Backing Brake Assembly (minibike) 5/8" Bore

basically ive heard mixed opinions on these brakes, and this bike is going to be quick, so is this a good brake system for stopping at high speeds, any pointers on setting one up?
i have these wheels for sale, half the price for two with tires and tubes and bearings. its in the minibike parts for sale section.

If you are building a real fast bike, I would go with a disc brake. I have the 5" version of that brake, its stopping power is OK, but nothing to wrote home about.

Ratbike

Oil is an issue..

I personally don't like them. I like the clutch brake. Thats what I use on my builds but alot of guys don't like them either. But they stop you on a dime!!!:scooter:

125ccCrazy

clutch brake on a fast bike should be used as a sceondary brake in conjunction with a scrub or drum brake on the rear wheel...two reasons:

One: if the chain comes off you have NO brakes

Two: they are hard on the chains since the wheel is trying to pull the chain when the clutch brake is trying to stop it...

Ratbike

On a fast bike DO NOT USE a drum brake as they have no leverage(as well as disc brakes) and will not stop you in an emergency!! Slow you at the very best!!Anything with a cable , the cable could break or slip as well...Scrub brake will always work unless your tire gets wet or goes flat,then no brakes.Clutch brakes the chain could come off, thats why your set up is so important... When in doubt...FLINTSTONE Brakes!!!:shrug::clap::punk::freakout::mad2:

The American Maverick II had a clutch band brake as well as a foot scrub brake and the pedal was on the right side of the bike. All race tracks run counter clock wise so the right leg is free to use the brake. The clutch band is super hard on all connected parts like the clutch drum bearing and engine side cover bushing as well as the chain
Steve :scooter:

This sad sack is up for sale on Craigslist SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Last edited: