is there any easy ways to advance timing?

maddcarson

ok so i was wondering if there is any way to advance the timing on these small engines through the cam or spark. if there is let me know what you think

thats the best way.... I just drill the holes out ob-longed in my coil, to advance it around the flywheel, for free and right at my hands instantly and be done with it...:hammer:

Probably about anywhere that deals with that kind of stuff..... Evilbay........ Take your 12 horse vert motor lawn tractor wide open across the yard in 3rd gear and plow into the side of your car..... that should just about kill the motor out and advance your flywheel key for you.:wink:

Someone on here said they use valve lapping compound on the flywheel and the shaft first and then they do not use a key and advance it to were they want it then tight the flywheel nut down. They said the flywheel says in place, I thought of trying it someday.

Someone on here said they use valve lapping compound on the flywheel and the shaft first and then they do not use a key and advance it to were they want it then tight the flywheel nut down. They said the flywheel says in place, I thought of trying it someday.
I heard them say that too. I guess it makes sense. If you had it bolted down good and tight, and the crank any flywheel were lapped together perfect fit, and the motor ran good... I guess it could work. :shrug:

I think you talking were the alignment is between the crank and cam inside the engine. No, I would not do that, Timing should be change at the flywheel.

65ShelbyClone

doing that type of stuff and having it work is going to be way over your head. just stick with changing the ignition timing.
+1. If you don't know where to start looking for an offset flywheel key(mentioned LOTS of times on this site alone), you're certainly not ready to play with the cam timing yet. Search. Read. Learn.

Besides that, cam timing has nothing to do with ignition timing on these engines. Advancing/retarding the cam only moves the power and torque peaks up or down the engine's rpm band.