Jackshaft bearing... Overkill

What type of bike are they going on that a "conventional/typical" jack shaft bearing will not cut it ? HP of the engine?
Michael

id go with the pillow block. the roller bearing will ride right on the shaft which is not hardened and dirt will get in there easier. probrobly wont last even as long as the ones you were using

Trike with the 18hp ate through the new bearings in two races... Moving up to appr. 25hp... Want to be ready
OK, thanks for the information and photo- To be the most helpful, it always helps to know the specific application. As others have already stated, go with the pillow block.
Michael

I'm 350 pounds and the trike and motor are probably anothe 300 pounds.torque of the motor and 40 series put a lot of stress on the jackshaft. If the pillow block doesnt work I will have to maybe add two more bearing mounts. For a total of 4 on the jackshaft. But I think this will work.

Something else to look at. The shaft itself. Is it straight and true. A little bit of wobble (technical term) will destroy bearings in little time.
I would guess too the gears also. Bent gear will put a strain on the shaft and in turn onto the bearings.

3/4" shaft doesn't flex much at this length. I put the pillow block bearings in today. Just finished when the wife drsgged me away before I could test drive. It's getting hydraulic disc brakes and another engine anyway so I might just pull the rear end and motor off to begin that before winter weather hits. And they're throwing around the "snow" word possibly for tomorrow.

The flat roller, but 2 pillow blocks strong also? lots of sudden Gumpit movement? 4 pillows with them flat bearings would be more than a Mercruiser stern-drive? maybe a thrust bearing at load side of jack-shaft? cuz even it has a load? a collar stop an thrust bearing against the jack shaft bearing?