Just another Doodlebug

jays0n

Little final progress before my shoulder surgery this Friday. Got the extra tabs cut and ground off the frame and got it totally disassembled. Getting the tires off was a pain, def going to have a tire shop mount the new ones. I also got the remote fuel tank all mocked up and ready to go, just need to paint the brackets before final assembly. Powder coater says it will be 2-3 weeks for it to be completed, which works out perfectly with my recovery schedule :) Ordered a "Drainzit" remote oil drain for the Predator (and for the one I have sitting on my bench in a box waiting for a home). Getting close!

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow!! As for getting your tires mounted my tire place has done them for free a couple times so I would suggest just showing up early with a box of doughnuts!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm sure it will be fine, anxious for it to be over though. Good tip on the donuts! My wife and I have Vespa scooters and the shop we bring them to said they would mount them, I figured it was a good bet as they deal with small wheels all the time, we'll see how it works out when I get everything back from powder coating. In the meantime I'm on the hunt for another DB30 frame to turn into a trike for the wife...

Powder coating guy said it will be done this week, can't wait to get started on the final assembly. Everything is sitting and ready to go, hopefully just a few hours and I'll be ripping up the yard!

Tires are easy , need a good bench vise , or extra set of hands , some large c- clamps , big screw drivers and dish soap ! I gotta make a video , its so simple , I do it in minutes !

jays0n

Picked up the parts from the powder coater on Friday and they did a fantastic job, really couldn't be happier. They really nailed the FJ Cruiser yellow. The tires are getting mounted as I type this so hopefully I'll have a roller by bedtime tonight :)

Got the pegs, kickstand and headset bearings installed but ran out of time for more.

jays0n

Got a few more things accomplished last night. Still have a pretty good sized to do list but might be able to wrap that up tonight, we'll see how late I get out of work I guess. Hoping to have it running by the weekend at the latest.

jays0n

Got a few more things marked off my list tonight but also created a few more problems to deal with. The hydraulic brake is super soft and for some reason the throttle is sticking really bad now. I think the brake needs to be bled and my guess is that the throttle cable needs to be re-routed straighter to keep it from binding. Hopefully I'll have time to fire the engine tonight. I ordered a split sprocket adapter from OldMiniBikes and it should hopefully be here by the weekend so I may wait for that to get the chain sorted out, those adapters are sweet!

Got the fuel tank and seat mounted using the HRM tank relocation kit. It seems to be ok so far though it does push the seat further back a bit.

The cap from my stock DB30 tank had a bad seal but thankfully the cap off the stock Predator tank fits great.

jays0n

Yeah, just picked up some brake fluid to sort that out and from looking at the photo it seems that the throttle cable could be routed more straight, while I do that I'll be sure to squirt a bunch of lube down the liner, certainly can't hurt!

Add another return spring for the throttle. Even after backing off the nut, I still needed another spring to get the throttle to release consistently. I got a spring from the local hardware store, about 3" long and small diameter, fed the cable through it at the carb end, then fed the cable through the cable stop on the throttle arm. Make sense?

Spring over the cable here:

Last edited:

jays0n

Yeah, I already added an extra spring and it returned just fine until I ran the cable up to the bars. I think I made too many turns and it's too tight, plus I didn't lube the cable :)

Didn't get to work on it last night other than firing the engine. It idles great and seems to run smooth. If I have time tonight I'm going to get the throttle sorted out, bleed the brake and try to get the chains installed and the engine tightened down. At that point it may be time for a spin around the yard!

I was able to get all the details sorted out last night. The brake had some debris stuck in the master cylinder so I got that cleaned out, repositioned and bled, now it stops like I threw out an anchor :thumbsup:

The throttle issue wasn't the cable, wasn't the spring but was actually just too much powder coating on the handlebar under the grip tube. I sanded off a bunch of it, lubed it up and it was good to go.

I got the chain on but it was 10pm and totally dark so I just ripped it down my driveway and back up. Terrifying is the first word that comes to mind, well, maybe it's just that my driveway is downhill and it was pitch dark but either way I'll take it out again tonight after my sprocket adapter arrives and I get that mounted up. Here are a couple shots of the jackshaft setup and chains, love how easy it is to adjust!

Last edited:
Got it running and having trouble keeping the drive chain tight, I slide the engine forward, tighten the bolts, it seems tight but as soon as I ride it for a few minutes it's loose again. Is it stretching that much? Am I missing something?