Just another Doodlebug

Are using Chinese made chain? It always seems to be tight then loose and never lasts very long for me:hammer: I try to find chain made in the USA or Japan, higher price and it will last longer than the cheaper stuff.

Not sure of the chain's origin, it's from Pro Mod so I would expect it isn't too bad. I think however I figured out the problem, the Pro Mod engine plate comes with bolts and nuts, the nuts are flanged lock nuts. I think the serrations on the nut aren't sharp enough to cut into the glossy powder coating so they keep slipping, causing the chain to loosen up.

I went to Lowe's with the wife on Saturday to pick up some star washers and ended up with a new refrigerator and dishwasher! We are the 2nd owners of this house the the first owner built it himself, or at least did a lot of it himself. The dishwasher install was a disaster, bare wires in the space behind it, etc. I haven't gotten to the fridge yet but I can already see that the water supply for the ice maker is going to be a problem, no shut off valve! Perhaps I'll get to work on the mini bike by the end of the week....

Here it is with the split sprocket adapter, you can see the chain sagging, that was after a quick pass in the yard and it's already loose!

I got it sorted out. When I took the engine mount bolts off the teeth on the flange nuts were filled with powder coating and were clearly not gripping at all. I put a star washer on there and that chain is now perfect!

I did however realize that for some reason I mounted the ProMod chain guard mount plate behind the jackshaft instead of in front of it like it belongs. It must have been a "too many beers" situation because it was knocking everything out of alignment and the bolt on the end of the crankshaft had machined itself about halfway through the chain guard :doah: I got that sorted out while I was at it but ran out of time for a test run. Hopefully tomorrow....

Finally all finished and this thing rips! It takes a bit to get used to the clutch but now that everything is aligned correctly it runs much smoother (go figure right?) and really gets up and goes! For reference I believe my gearing is 12t clutch - 13t js input - 15t js output - 69 tooth drive. Now it's time to have fun with it and get started on the trike project!

jays0n

Finally got around to posting the videos we made when I got it running :) The weather hasn't been that great lately so it's been resting comfortably in the garage with the rest of the toys. Hopefully we'll have one of these videos for the trike build soon!

[video=youtube_share;VXLYDpuzQVY]http://youtu.be/VXLYDpuzQVY[/video]

Your videos are private. Might want to change them to unlisted. Also, off-topic, but are you happy with your FJ Cruiser? How is it at getting around without a solid rear axle?

jays0n

Thanks, fixed the videos, never realized they were private because I could view them on the forum :)

I love my FJ and I'm not sure what you're talking about, mine has a solid rear axle and so do all of my friends that have them. It goes just about anywhere I point it :)

I was looking at vehicles at one point, and my buddy said FJ Cruiser's had IRS. I believed him, and dismissed them. Never looked into it. Looks like he was wrong, haha.

Also, I love your ridgebacks! I just got a ridgeback mix myself.

Good looking dog! They are great, I'll always have one. Usually in mixes the ridge is the first thing to go (recessive trait). What is he/she mixed with? From this shot all that doesn't look right is the short ridge (which happens sometimes in pure bred dogs), head looks right, size is right, build looks right, tail is correct, even eyes match coat color! My two used to be show dogs (shown by my late wife) so I now know all that is right/wrong about a ridgeback, more useless trivia :)

The other half is catahoula cur. His dad was ridgeback. The mom the catahoula. His dad was massive. 120 lbs at his thin hunting weight. Mom was a 50-60 lb tri point catahoula. You can't really see it in his coat but he has merle patches all over him. His Ridge is short, skinny, and it only crowns on the right. I'm sorry to hear about your wife. She had a good choice in pups.

Finally was able to get the rack built so we can carry the minibike behind the offroad trailer for an upcoming overland rally we are attending. The original plan for this build was for it to go behind the trailer, happy to finally get that accomplished.

Not much to it, just some square tubing.

Just need to sew the ends of the straps I shortened, would rather not have to deal with the 12' of slack on each one :)