Just clutches

just frank

That will work just fine... Thank you for the nice photo... I personally think the best way to do it correctly to have a machinist drill it so that way everything is properly balanced. I'm not sure a hand drill will work correctly. That's my opinion.

Last edited:

just frank

I bought this NOS Comet 2 speed back in the late 1990's for my Gilson, never used it... I have owned many Comet clutches as well... Never had a problem. A good product as well... Oddly I bought this clutch from a Harley-Davidson shop... They said back in the 1970's to survive they also sold mini-bikes and Schwinn bicycles. This was found in a big box with other parts... All new! Never opened the bag.

Last edited:

just frank

Next and last on my list is a Mercury clutch I found on a mini-bike my brother gave me. He found 3 bikes at a house he had to clean out, also back in the 1990's. I found the rebuilt kit and had to have it! "as advertised in Boy's Life" it says on the packaging. I know nothing about this clutch, I can't say anything about it... Good or bad... Is the company still around? I don't know...

just frank

NOS Horstman clutch... I forgot I have another clutch to my collection. Made around 1980 or so by the Horstman MFG. CO, INC, Monrovia, California. I have two of these... Both new never used... I was going to put this on my mini-bike but I changed my mind, I thought "how many am I going to come across one of these again." So I installed a new Max-Torque instead... I know nothing about this company, I can tell you it's well made and heavy duty. That's all I know. Any information about this or other clutches will be helpful.
The reason I posted my collection of mini-bike, go kart clutches is a reference for someone in the future who needs the information.

just frank

If anyone have a clutch that I don't have here, please post it and talk about it... That way someone can use this site for reference. I tried to find information about clutches on oldminibikes.com and I couldn't find anything. I think this site can be handy...

I found this on Ebay... An unbranded clutch that was originally on a McCulloch Mc 6 kart engine. I thought it looked interesting so I posted here for reference who might need this information. I don't own this...

It looks like a lightweight clutch of some sort, then again maybe that was the standard back in the 1960's... I like it... I'm gonna sign out for the night... It's gonna be interesting to see what happens... See you tomorrow...

It looks like a lightweight clutch of some sort, then again maybe that was the standard back in the 1960's... I like it... I'm gonna sign out for the night... It's gonna be interesting to see what happens... See you tomorrow...
IMG_4777.jpeg
Very similar to the clutch on my ‘68 Rupp
two-speed jackshaft

You have a fine collection of clutches. I should have done the same thing back in 1989 when I bought Max-Torque. My first project was to toss all the 2 cycle clutches because our market was the back yard fun kart mfg. All I can say was that was a big mistake. I started gathering clutches and then we moved three different times and things got thrown out once again. Now my collection is just the various Max-Torque clutches from the start which goes back to the 1930's when the founder of the company, George Fields, worked for Bendix and he designed fluid drive clutches used on washing machines that went on early Maytag's. Those were the washing machine your great grandmother use to use on the back porch back in the good old days. He even put them on the Doodle Bug (the name that Beam Mfg came up with when he sold the Army Surplus vehicles after WWII) which was the first mini-bike back in 1942. Beam Mfg. ended up making 40,000 of them from 1946 through 1948.

I still gather an odd ball clutch I see when I go to vintage go kart shows that are a work of art. If you are in Naperville, IL on a Friday I give tours.

What a complement! If I'm in town I will go for a tour of the company... That's a real interesting history of the company, Maytag washers, who knew... The last two clutches I found on EBAY, but the rest are mine...
Up above I found a photo of the mini- bike that my brother used to own, he bought a used Max-Torque in the 1970's from a neighbor kid for about $25.00 and it worked perfectly. A good product...The story is up above.
That 2 speed clutches you talked about is on Ebay, at this moment and it's going for $18.50. I know nothing about this style of clutch. Any good? Was this the standard of that time? Ginz61 has a clutch like it for a Rupp...
Someone with experience should write a small book about the history of these clutches so the information doesn't get lost...