Just clutches

just frank

Here is my collection of clutches I own... I will start with the first one I call the "mystery clutch". I have had many experts look at this clutch and no one can figure when it was made or by whom. I think this clutch should go to a museum. I have not been able to find another one like it anywhere. What do you think? DSCN1569.JPG DSCN1571.JPG DSCN1576.JPG

just frank

Yes... It's really genus how it was designed... The weighted three arms pushes the plate forward just as you thought... Good guess! I don't think it was used on plant machinery, I'm not sure how, yet I won't rule it out either.

Last edited:
It is heavy... One half is iron and steel, the other half is aluminum or maybe pot metal. Also what adds to the genius of whoever made this was the weighted three arms (looks like washers) by adding or subtracting the washers will afect the RPM of the clutch.

Last edited:
Just to make clear, it's heavy as all clutches are but not as heavy as a ton of bricks... I think the pictures makes it appear bigger than it really is. It fits a Briggs perfectly.

By looking at in your hands it just appears way to large and heavy for a mini bike application…it may fit the 3/4 crank but alot of things gave 3/4 crank/pto…just my thoughts

just frank

Max-Torque is next... A very good clutch I must say! I was familiar with since I was a kid. The one on the left is anew 12 tooth clutch I just used on my mini-bike. The one on the right is the 15 tooth clutch that Mr. Donovan made into a 10 tooth clutch that I really needed. I thought he did a good job on that.

just frank

I found this picture of my brothers Gilson dated July 1979. The picture was taken when the mini-bike was for sale. I remember coming home from kindergarten and I remember seeing him in the garage working on that pink 4hp Briggs... He started with just the block and assembled the tank and carb he bought at a local small engine shop. I'm surprised he got the right matching colors. This is the mini-bike I talked about when he bought a rusty worn-out Max-Touque clutch from a neighbor kid for $25.00, the same price for a new one. It worked PERFECTLY!!! For years!
He rode that bike for years even on the street on the sidewalk and even brought it up North to our grandmother's house. I don't think anyone called on him, except when he blew up some firecrackers than the whole police department came.
He sold the Gilson mini-bike for what I think is about around $50.00 more or less to a goofy fat kid from Minneapolis.
I remember my brother talking to the kid "aren't you afraid someone might steal it from you."
The kid replied "Oh no... I'll just chain it up... I can ride it up and down the alley... I'm not worried about it."
A short time later the goofy fat kid came back. He asked for a photo of it because someone stole it. No surprise there... He said he was going to put up posters around town with a reward. That was the last I heard about it...

just frank

Thank you Cuda54... If anyone has a photo of a Max-Torque clutch where someone made it lighter by drilling holes in it... To reduce the weight... Please show a photo of it, I think that might be interesting, or just one like it is fine...

Last edited:

Triley41395

Thank you Cuda54... If anyone has a photo of a Max-Torque clutch where someone made it lighter by drilling holes in it... To reduce the weight... Please show a photo of it, I think that might be interesting, or just one like it is fine...
This is from Max torque's how to rebuild video. Plenty of lightening holes. Screenshot_20230902_110324_YouTube.jpg