Just clutches

May have posted this before…Swiss cheese memory…but I got this in a trade. ..,assume Fairbanks Morse….don’t appear to have ever been used…?
IMG_6149.jpeg IMG_6148.jpeg

@Jim Donovan made me a couple Max Torque clutches with 15T . The problem is the bell is smaller on the Van Ausdall. Jim Did cut down the bell on the Max Torques he made for me and that does really help. Thank you.

Just what is the OD measurement including the flange lip on the drum of the Van Ausdall??? If it measure 4.187 I may be able to help someone that is looking for a clutch to fit his mini-bike with that clutch on it. He said there is very limited clearance under the cover guard.

@Jim Donovan You had made me a couple Skat Kitty clutches and machined some metal off the clutch drum. It is better but still a little too big. The original clutch, Van Ausdall just has a much smaller drum. I wish you could make some of these Max Torques with a small drum. I could buy about 50 of those clutches to help people. Lol. PXL_20240222_222835677.jpg

Just what is the OD measurement including the flange lip on the drum of the Van Ausdall??? If it measure 4.187 I may be able to help someone that is looking for a clutch to fit his mini-bike with that clutch on it. He said there is very limited clearance under the cover guard.
JIm, I'm putting a Skat Kitty together and am going to need a small clutch. Karen has been helping me and suggested you. If you could make something like Karen is showing that would be great. I've beeen meaning to reach out to you. @manchester1 -Karen, I think we could even get away with 3-7/8" or so ..

Lizardking -- the clutch on your engine is a three shoe Horstman. The color of the shoes tell me it got damn hot and most likely annealed the three springs. Shoes still would be good just need some new springs. And the bushing would also need to be replaced.

Lizardking

Lizardking -- the clutch on your engine is a three shoe Horstman. The color of the shoes tell me it got damn hot and most likely annealed the three springs. Shoes still would be good just need some new springs. And the bushing would also need to be replaced.
Good eye Sir! Horstman it is! It will get necessary parts when the time comes.

Thank you and appreciate your knowledge.!

I found the patent number on the "Mystery Clutch", I hope I got it right. I fear some numbers might be missing or fudged.
The number is PAT. NO. 2696898
I hope that works... Let see what happens, thanks...
-Frank

Last edited:
WOW THAT WAS FAST... Good job! It looks right to me, the numbers are right, approved in 1958... About the same time when go karts came out... Does anyone know what it was for? Interesting... The guy who invented the clutch is named "Paul C Kuehn". Anything about him?

Last edited: