Kacz's "Price Check on the Powell" w/ super secret double entry...

Somewhere in the shopping cart is a sweet old Powell waiting for a custom rebuild. Truth be told I am not sure if I can get this done in time - we've got our first baby on the way :smile: so I have tons of prep to do around the house AND I might be out of work by the end of the month (actually I will have plenty of time then but I might have to sell the toys :laugh:)

Anyway, I wanted to toss my hat into the ring and see if I can get this thing done. I have never done a minibike before and this Powell will be my first rebuild, and I know enough to know this one needs to be done right! Even though I am outgunned in the experience department, I have high hopes and big dreams, and a shop full of tools so I'll see where this takes me!

PS There is a super secret CAT frame lurking in the background that kzhorse hooked me up with - who knows what's going to happen there!

PPS Hope that rock can wasn't supposed to be in the follow up pics because him and his friends are long gone :drinkup:

PPPS I guess this would be open class??? Sorry wasn't sure!

Last edited:

Itype2slo

Thats awsome will you be incorporating that shopping cart into the build? just kidding thats a nice pile of parts. Good luck on the baby and the build.

CRAP!

So had nice weather yesterday and today and finally got the powell up on the workbench. First order of business was to see if the old briggs can still turn. Fresh gas and oil and pulled on the crank till my shoulder burned and nothing... :cursing: Oh well I figured it wasn't going to be that easy.

Pulled off the carb and the tank and gave everything a good bath, tank was still a bit rusty but I didn't care because I was planning on an aftermarket carb and just wanted to see if it turned over. Plug and wire also looked like crap so cleaned them up. Put it all back together and first pull and we are in business! :thumbsup:

That was late yesterday, so today I start putting the bike together to figure out some of the design. After a little I go to put the engine on the frame for some mock up and WTF is this....

:censure: OK so either the mounts broke or worse there was some serious damage to the case.... how far does this go??

Looks like whatever happened the oil drain came off... No way that could be repaired clean...

reapairs stop and start along the entire rear from left to the right mount... Well at this point I don't think I am going to use this motor and may or may not have another to put in this bike. Maybe I'll just tear it down and see what the inside looks like. It ran well, amazing actually, I was surprised at how smooth it was... but I really don't want this case exploding near my ankle while on a ride out in the woods!

Anyway that's my first update - might be my last :laugh:

Last edited:

1stlegendtx

CRAP!

So had nice weather yesterday and today and finally got the powell up on the workbench. First order of business was to see if the old briggs can still turn. Fresh gas and oil and pulled on the crank till my shoulder burned and nothing... :cursing: Oh well I figured it wasn't going to be that easy.

Pulled off the carb and the tank and gave everything a good bath, tank was still a bit rusty but I didn't care because I was planning on an aftermarket carb and just wanted to see if it turned over. Plug and wire also looked like crap so cleaned them up. Put it all back together and first pull and we are in business! :thumbsup:

That was late yesterday, so today I start putting the bike together to figure out some of the design. After a little I go to put the engine on the frame for some mock up and WTF is this....

:censure: OK so either the mounts broke or worse there was some serious damage to the case.... how far does this go??

Looks like whatever happened the oil drain came off... No way that could be repaired clean...

reapairs stop and start along the entire rear from left to the right mount... Well at this point I don't think I am going to use this motor and may or may not have another to put in this bike. Maybe I'll just tear it down and see what the inside looks like. It ran well, amazing actually, I was surprised at how smooth it was... but I really don't want this case exploding near my ankle while on a ride out in the woods!

Anyway that's my first update - might be my last :laugh:
I have a couple of race engines that the rod came through the block and they just weld up the whole and its fine.:shrug:

The repairs don't look that bad. I say if it runs good, use it. Sure, open the side cover and see what it looks like, but if she runs good now, clean it up and run it.

No disrespect intended to old timer but i suggest not touching the welds. Grinding a structural weld on steel is not recommended. On aluminum just dont do it.

Sadly, I am going to have to pull my bike out of the build. I just started a new job and have a baby on the way soon - I just can't find the time to get working on it and I don't want to rush the Powell because it took me so long to get one. Not going to do a hack job to get it done quickly. Also the next day after running this motor there was a puddle of oil under it so the briggs is not in good shape...

Just putting this out there though I don't know if this is possible but If I could swap bikes. I have my Coleman which I have been working on and will be able to get done in time (because that is what I am riding at Windber if I can make it) I started it at the same time and tore it down to parts also for what was supposed to be paint but it turned into it's own build. I sent a note to Clayton to see what his thoughs were and no big deal either way, would just like to participate still with the Coleman if I could.

Good luck with your builds!
Kacz

Ok, so I spoke with Clayton and cleared things up. The Powell is definitly out but I was able to finish my second bike and am submitting that as my completed 2013 build under the "super secret double enty". It is certainly not as special as the Powell hopefully will be but this is my first minibike, and now it is exactly how I want it to be, for now at least! :thumbsup: It's not going to set the world ablaze or win any awards but I did do alot of work to it (much more than I wanted or was expecting to do) and I am please with the results and I hope you all are as well. I will list the work done below after the pics!

And some old pics in it's original condition for reference:

1. Predator 212 engine
2. TAV Comet
3. "Chevy Orange" powder coating on frame, bars, engine shroud and stand.
a. Cut and modded the frame rear bar to fit the TAV
b. Custom 1/2 aluminum mount for the engine
4. Progrip 790 MX grips
5. Kenda Road GO tires
6. Black ABS fenders
7. Black semi powder coated wheels, foot pegs, rear sprocket and brake assembly.

Last edited: