Kick Starters...good? bad?

Ding Ding

They look cool, but do they perform well? And do they hold up?

Anyone have first hand experience with using one? Specifically on a Tecumseh?

I have a source to buy them from, and have been thinking about using one on my current Speedway Scorpion build since the recoil will need to be replaced anyway.

Thanks,
Mike

capguncowboy

They work and they seem to have a niche following, but I don't think they're worth what you have to pay (most of the time).

the biggest issue I've seen is the one I ran into on my 70 Rupp Roadster build. It had a kickstart on it and over the years of it being used, it caused the shroud to crack where it overlapped the head. Apparently, this is a common issue on those shrouds anyway, but the extra pressure from the kickstarter being pushed downward repeatedly over the years launched the problem into over drive.

I ended up having to replace the shroud. That's probably not too big of a deal for most engines, but a lighted engine shroud is a little tough to find.

Last edited:
They destroy the pull shroud with extended use. Starts to crack by the head bolts and wants to rip it away from the motor. But they look cool on the pedestal bikes that never get driven.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I can see it being a great thing, on a great running engine. Shroud's could be beefed up in mounting areas.

They crack there anyway with lots of recoil use.

I have a Tecumseh and a fairbanks kick start. Unfortunately I have yet to use either. The Tecumseh one seems better built in my opinion. What ones do you have a source for? I sure would like to get a hedgar kik start.

markus

I actually used one on my Sears bike, which was a bike I did ride a lot. Mind you just local street riding here no fun offroading or anything severe. Probably would not use it on a rider you can and will actually ride and not just be buzzing around the hood on..mainly due to cost replacement if say you dropped the bike or something like that but it also does add another 1.5"or so off the side too.

I didn't have any problems with it, throw is a little short and placement on alot of bikes can be a bitch though. I always try to keep one here, I have one NOS left at this point and last few bikes I wanted to use it on it just was not going to fit well :doah: Even on the sears it was not a great fit, you had to move the footpeg in order to kick start it. You can re position the Tecumseh one but just ends up looking really wacky depending on the bike.

Ding Ding

Thanks for all the information guys!

The kick starter I can buy is a "Kwik Kick" brand for Tecumseh & Clinton engines. And I can get it for 175$ plus shipping.

I do need to either buy a new recoil, or a kick starter for my Speedway/Tecumseh, but am having a hard time justifying the price of the kick starter in compared to the performance. I am concerned about it damaging the shroud, however, I would repair or remove the kick starter long before and real damage was done. I'm also concerned about it hitting the foot peg, as on a Speedway the foot pegs are set back a bit further. Then again, it would be nice to not worry at all and just rip the cord on an affordable recoil starter.

Pros:
cool factor

Cons:
possible future damage to engine
takes up more space
could potentially hit foot peg
spendy

I guess my list speaks for itself