Kill Switch install

How do you install a kill switch ? Right now I'm using a bent wire that pushes down on the spark plug on a B&S 2HP. I'd like to install a switch mounted on the handle bar. Thanks in advance.

Tim

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It should plug right into the coil. The should be a male sending lead on the coil itself. The kill switch usually comes with the female pickup lead on the end. They just plug right into each other.

I took off the pull start cover. I did not see a male sending lead. From the attached pics, can you see where the kill wire would be connected? - Thanks

125ccCrazy

There should be 2 wires behind the flywheel, one from the coil to the points behind the little round alum cover, and then out of that cover and bolted to a fiber plate via a 10/24 screw on the back of the engine?? maybe the front... If so hook one lead from the kill switch to that and the other lead to a bolt or screw on the engine..

The function of the kill switch is to ground out the ignition killing the spark to the sparkplug.....

While you hav ethe cover off clean the flywheel and coil with some sandpaper and get rid of the rusty surfaces and then re-gap the coil to flywheel with a business card, a real biz card and not one printed on typing paper..

125ccCrazy

Thanks for the input but now I'm more confused
is there a wire that comes out from behind the recoil cover and is fastened to the engine anywhere or is just hanging there?? if so one wire from the switch will hook to that and the other lead to a screw or bolt somewhere on the engine... Can't explain it any easier sorry....

can anyone post a picture of an installed kill switch on the coil? i think that would help...

(i too need the same advice as timinator)

thanks! :thumbsup:

Sometimes there will be a cut wire sticking out too.

Hot from the coil to switch then ground the other side of switch to frame or metal engine cover.

125ccCrazy

As GTO pinted out some coils (magneto) have a male spade that you attach one lead of the killswitch to and the other lead to a grounding source like a bolt or screw on teh engine...

Below is a 3hp Briggs with points with the kill switch wire coming out from the points to a fiber tab on the back of the engine, this is the wire you will attach one lead to and again the other lead to a ground..
View attachment 9900
View attachment 9901

OK, I bought an on/off switch from RadioShack. I ran one wire to the screw on the coil and the other to screw to a grounding source. See photos. Started up the engine, flipped the switch and nothing happend :( Any idea what I did wrong? - Thanks

take note that we are talking about 2 different types of ignitions, theres electronic ignition coils that have the little male connector on them like in GTO's pic, then their is the points/condenser type ignition like the one you have which doesnt have a male connector on the coil. what you need to do is take your flywheel off first, then look for the 2 wires that are coming out of the little aluminum cover that is behind the flywheel, one of the wires will be going to the coil (the wire thats in your second pic) then another one might be free hanging or attached to your carb. that wire is your kill switch wire, attach that to one end of your switch and ground the other side of the switch, and you will be good.

Now there might not be 2 wires coming out of the aluminum cover, if that is the case, take the aluminum wire off and attach your own wire to the condenser where the other one is attached, then just run the wire to your kill switch.

whats wrong with attaching one to the spark plug and one to ground
There's quite a bit a voltage in the secondary side of the ignition. If you hooked it up that way, the spark would probably just jump across the inside of the switch and then the engine wouldn't run (or the switch wouldn't last long). You want your switch hooked up so it grounds out the primary side of the circuit instead.

Like the others said, there should be a wire coming out from behind the coil or the cover plate.