Kill Switch install

very easy if you know what your doing, all you need for the job is a:
Larger opened end wrench (size 9/16 or bigger)
Hammer
sturdy flat or phillips screwdriver
small vice grips or channel lock pliers

Now heres how you do it without ruining anything:
Fist you gotta take off the stupid debris screen, all you do for that is take off the 2 small screws holding that on.
Now with that off look around the flywheel for the thickest/strongest fins on the flywheel and put your screwdriver between the 2 so it holds the flywheel in place
Now take your opened end wrench and place the open end of it over the little tabs that stick out of each side of the recoil locker (the part with the square shaft) then unscrew the locker by tapping on the end of the wrench (it might take some amount of force, but dont hammer it too hard or you will break a flywheel fin) that will unscrew the locker from the engine shaft (normal threading BTW you dont have to worry about reverse threads)
Then once that is off there will be a washer in front of the flywheel, dont lose that, then once thats off you can now tap a few times on the back side of the flywheel to make it pop off the shaft. it should be fairly easy, just dont lose the flywheel key, it might fall out and roll into a crack in your diveway (trust me it happens a lot :doah:)

And thats it, then to put it back on just do it in reverse, but remember to tighten the recoil locker on the flywheel pretty tight so you dont shear a key.

Sounds like your in over your head. You need to invest in a Briggs service manual. It will have detailed pictures and drawings that would help you out. There easy to find on ebay and not to expensive. Or you can take it to your local small engine repair shop and they could help you out.

george3

hay my friend forget all this. sorry guys, you are getting confused. first dont take anything apart just the pull start shroud, you already have it off. there is a wire that goes from the square coil to the points that makes the engine run. is there another wire fron the points if so hook your switch to that, and the other side of the switch ground it. if there is only 1 wire to the points and no more wires from the points to any where else. then you some how hook your switch wire to that one, or or a terminal next to that one does the same thing. the secondary prong on that coil is a blade ter. male that is the easiest way to hook up. make sure you ground the other side of the switch. that switch is a different kind. by switching it on makes voltage go through it. to switch on a circuit. so what you will be doing is turning on the ground. after you hook every thing up switch it to off. you will see it will run in the off position, after you figure all that out. the on-off plate flip it the other way. any more probs. PM. me left click on my name and send a message to me.

george3

A mini bike kill switch works the opsite way of a electrical switch. a elec. switch lets elec. go through it when you switch it to on. a kill switch in the on pos. shuts off the current. by useing an electrical switch you create a dead short in the on position. so flip the plate the other way and it will read the correct info. for your applacation. I bought a mini bike one time from a guy that hooked the switch to the spark plug and the other wire to ground. he was holding it and shocked the crap out of him I just had to laugh.

george3

gto has a pic. of the blade term. that is on the coil. if you have that one. hook a wire there from one side of the switch and the other wire from the switch to ground. switch to the off position and the engine will start.