kt100

buckeye

Just curious. Would you concider puting a yamaha kt100 on a mini? My soninlaw is a kart racer and has an extra one setting around and is trying to talk me into adding one of these to a mini.

That would haul major ass! How would you setup the clutch! Most KT100's are either direct drive (AKA no stopping) or have an axle clutch!

...in the class we run (Super Can) we run an adjustable multi-disc clutch (Horstman) and set the engagement speed (usually somewhere around 9000 rpms) and gear the kart so it tops out around 14,500 rpm.....15+ HP with the big Walbro carb...basically made to run balls out, they don't like to idle...throttle is like an on/off switch....you might be better to run the smaller Walbro carb like they use in Jr Sporstman classes...tames the motor a little bit...either way you better hang on when that sucker gets rolling !! .....:thumbsup::scooter:

[/QUOTE]

KustomKartKid....what type of clutch setup do you use! I race karts but only 4strokes not the 2smokers! I didnt see an axle clutch on yours...are you using a jackshaft setup?

This is me and my kart out practicing
haha...I love those 4 stroke Briggs karts...I like the sound and the smell of the alky/methanol or whatever the hell you guys are runnin...

KT-100 Clutch goes right on the end of the crank (it's small and kind of hidden by the sidepod in the pic)...Horstman is the most commonly used.... usually a 2 or 3 disc job with adjustable spings on the flyweights to set the RPM's at which it will engage...its a tapered bore clutch/ tapered crank ...guys run them with or without the key, but the "fit" is critical and often times they are "lapped" to a perfect fit and then stay married to that crank...if the clutch hub starts to spin on the crank at high speed....:doah::hammer::doah:...it's bye, bye crank, get your wallet out.:doah:

Last edited:

buckeye

A crank clutch setup. That's what he tells me. They only thing that bothers me is the rinnnnng dinnnng dinnng. But i guess there would be a way to quiet it down some.

Oh Ok! I didnt realize they made a crank clutch for the 2 strokes! Yeah we run methanol in our briggs and pump gas in the clones! Well the Stocker classes at least!

A crank clutch setup. That's what he tells me. They only thing that bothers me is the rinnnnng dinnnng dinnng. But i guess there would be a way to quiet it down some.
ha..those motors will push a 300 lb kart (315 w/driver) at 60mph+......when that mini is going 70 mph you won't hear the ring-a-ding-ding only the people behind you will.......:thumbsup:

Those motors will burn up sitting at idle for more then a few mins and when you hit the pipe on those guys its like a whole new motor i think some one might have a hard time using it for a mini

Got to much in it to screw around and mess her up! When I am done racing she comes right off and goes into the shop for maintenance! But dont think I haven't thought about it:thumbsup:

buckeye

With leathers and gloves and boots and fullface helmet and collar and good insurance is what I am getting out of the replys. Thanks for everyones thoughts. It just might happen.