Lash Caps Needed?

After putting 18lb valve springs into a predator 212cc, I dropped one of the lash caps for the exhaust valve. Is it necessary? Will the Engine be OK if it's not there?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Hemi or non-hemi?
I have not seen lash caps on the non-hemi engines.
The hemi will need that to help keep the slippery retainer centerd and in place! The 18lb Honda springs will coil bind in the hemi engine due to the shallow spring pockets! Be careful!

I ended up finding the lash cap and getting everything bolted up. I ran the engine, and it ran at a slow rpm for a minute, then when I reved it up, it died and smoke came out of the air filter. Now I can see a hole in the cylinder head, and It will no longer run. I gotta go to HF.

I ended up finding the lash cap and getting everything bolted up. I ran the engine, and it ran at a slow rpm for a minute, then when I reved it up, it died and smoke came out of the air filter. Now I can see a hole in the cylinder head, and It will no longer run. I gotta go to HF.
:scared: Was there any work done to the head?

A brand new head is like $45. It could be fixed.
I like the head that ACR has now. Its a bare but only $15. Its a JT style head that takes the predator valves. The valves are about $6.50 a piece from them. He might need a piston too if it did this to the head but that's also cheep. I would swap to the ACR head and convert to the clone valve train.

From the pictures all I can see is there is a few holes blown through the exhaust port. I would love to see a picture of the head off the motor. I am also curious as to what caused this.

moetrout

I like the head that ACR has now. Its a bare but only $15. Its a JT style head that takes the predator valves. The valves are about $6.50 a piece from them. He might need a piston too if it did this to the head but that's also cheep. I would swap to the ACR head and convert to the clone valve train.
Wow! Good find, I did not know about these. I could see getting one to try out a little more aggressive porting.

Ya they released them a few months ago along with a predator stroke crank that takes the clone rod and flywheel and a predator block. I bought everything the day they released the parts. Still working on it. The head lapped in well with some 600 grit clover valve grinding compound. Spent about 1 minute on each valve cuz the suction cup kept popping off. It's the only head I will buy now. It's a 22cc chamber but if you put some stainless valves in it will raise compression a little more cuz the predator valves are concaved.

CarPlayLB

There is nothing wrong with the head that you have now. That is a common area for the casting to have holes in it. They do not go through to the exhaust port. I verified on some heads I have here

Ya they released them a few months ago along with a predator stroke crank that takes the clone rod and flywheel and a predator block. I bought everything the day they released the parts. Still working on it. The head lapped in well with some 600 grit clover valve grinding compound. Spent about 1 minute on each valve cuz the suction cup kept popping off. It's the only head I will buy now. It's a 22cc chamber but if you put some stainless valves in it will raise compression a little more cuz the predator valves are concaved.
Where do you find these ACR components? Google keeps directing me to ARC.