Learned advise, please?

I find myself in need of some advise for an engine, as I'm a bit behind the 8-ball on small engineas.

Have a Briggs 3-hp flathead off of an older Sears lawn edger. Numbers are 143 814032 SER 0317B.
Missing carb and tank. (It looks like the carb would have been mounted to the bottom of the tank.)
It also has a stepped output shaft. (Shoot, forgot to get dimensions.)

Would this engine be suitable enough to power my Gemini Scrambler, and might anyone have suggestions as to what type of carb to get for it?

(The grandkids will also be riding it, hence the 3-horse engine.)

Thanks.....Roger
143 model numbers are Tecumseh.
917 model numbers are Briggs

Ive made a few of the Craftsman Tecumseh's into minibike engines and I love em. Always in great shape inside.

None of mine however are stepped. But why not go this route? Not sure this is the right size but search out the right one.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371096116957&alt=web

Now this is good info!
I checked out that link, and looked at the seller's other offerings. He actually offers a load of different size combinations.
I'm still thinking I should pull down the engine and have the crank turned down to .625". That way, if I change things up later, and use it somewhere else, I won't have to go through all this again.

Roger

if youre bike has a jackshaft you can run sprockets to it at 1:1 ratio and put the clutch on the jackshaft to the back wheel. But again thats not the ideal setup unless you have the parts on hand to pull it off. I have a crank and side cover from a h35. It should work if the stroke is the same. Engine number h35-452341 serial 9071 12477

if youre bike has a jackshaft you can run sprockets to it at 1:1 ratio and put the clutch on the jackshaft to the back wheel. But again thats not the ideal setup unless you have the parts on hand to pull it off. I have a crank and side cover from a h35. It should work if the stroke is the same. Engine number h35-452341 serial 9071 12477
There are a bunch of different part numbers for cranks, but I think the difference is in the rod length--the strokes are 1/32" apart. The bores are the same.