Lets see your fox mini bikes

Rather than welding the top and bottom halves together and spray painting them silver (like I saw on one $2500.00 (asking price) restoration); I decided to start from scratch and fabricate my own reproduction shocks. To begin my shock reproduction project I had Ace Wire and Spring Co. out of Pittsburgh fabricate new springs that were exact duplicates of the originals except that they had a slightly higher compression rating. After weeks of lathe and machine work I ended up with the components shown in Picture #6. The cylinder and the plunger were sent out and given a triple plate, show chrome, finish and the results can be seen in picture #7. After final assembly, I ended up with ten pairs of shocks like the ones in picture #8. Picture #9 shows a comparison between the old originals and the new reproduction shocks. I'm probably going to get asked if I have any extra ones for sale. Unfortunately the answer is no. I thought about making extras when I was doing them but they cost me $95.00 each (one shock) and I really couldn't imagine that there would be any demand for them even if I sold them at my cost. I only made enough to restore ten of my Campus Bikes. If I decide to do the rest of them someday, then I will need to make more shocks. If that happens; then I will post a notice on OldMiniBikes and take orders if anyone is interested. Ogy

Thanks for the pics Ogy. I guess a guy could make a set easy enough that would be close and maybe painted silver if on a budget.

Scooterboy may be able to make something that will work..

delray

thanks again ogy for the springs:thumbsup: i will use them someday on my campus bike.
here is one of my fox minibikes, first model every built. 1961 or 62? originally came with a 2stroke.
now it's just rat rod bike with a 5hp briggs +tav2.:doah:

OGY, me and markg have not forgotten. if we fine one just like it,its yours:thumbsup:

Thanks for the pics Ogy. I guess a guy could make a set easy enough that would be close and maybe painted silver if on a budget.

Scooterboy may be able to make something that will work..
Tom, As I worked on my Fox Campus rear shock project I made detailed measurements and drawings for each of the components. If you ever decide that you would like to make a set; I would be happy to send you copies of my drawings and notes. Along with the drawings I would include a couple of sets of new springs (at no charge) for your project. When you have springs custom made it's cheaper to make two hundred than it is to make two. Consequently, I have a couple of hundred of new ones that I'm never going to use. With regard to the finish. Silver or chrome paint could be an option but might I suggest zinc or nickel plating. Both are very easy to do in a home shop and relatively inexpensive while giving a shine similar to chrome. Especially the nickel. Let me know if you care to take me up on my offer. Ogy

thanks again ogy for the springs:thumbsup: i will use them someday on my campus bike.
here is one of my fox minibikes, first model every built. 1961 or 62? originally came with a 2stroke.
now it's just rat rod bike with a 5hp briggs +tav2.:doah:

OGY, me and markg have not forgotten. if we fine one just like it,its yours:thumbsup:
Dear Delray and Mark G, Thanks so much for keeping an eye out for an early model Fox Campus bike for me. With the three of us watching it triples my chances. If you fellows
find yourself someday restoring a Fox Campus I would be glad to assist you in any way I can. And thanks again fellows. Ogy

Dear Delray and Mark G, Thanks so much for keeping an eye out for an early model Fox Campus bike for me. With the three of us watching it triples my chances. If you fellows
find yourself someday restoring a Fox Campus I would be glad to assist you in any way I can. And thanks again fellows. Ogy
Anytime.:thumbsup:I'm still looking, it's only a matter of time. I will restore my Campus someday, and when I do I would love to take you up on your offer. By the way, those shocks you built are absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Here is a strange Fox I picked up over the summer:
Made by Fox, not really a mini, but for sure a bike, swing arm, shocks and all!

delray

ok guys, there was a fox campus minibike on ebay for $895 or buy $995:doah:eek:k we all know the price is little crazy and is not the first time we seen a campus go for $$$ or $$$$. the big kicker is:doah: when did they come with clinton engines. engine looks correct for it's year and all,but far has i know they only came with briggs on the early models and later with tecumseh.
Vintage Fox Campus Mini Bike Minibike Original - eBay (item 230400706966 end time Nov-26-09 21:04:43 PST)
Delray, Fox did indeed use Clinton motors on their minibikes. As a matter of fact they also used Tecumsehs, Lausons, and Briggs. There doesn't seem to be a pattern or purpose as to why and when they used a particular brand of motor other than the Tecumseh, Lauson, and the Clinton had lighting coils. This allowed Fox to eliminate the extra shrouded part of the seat which served to hide the 6v battery that was used on the Briggs powered Campus bikes. Not needing a battery further allowed them to use a cheap ass seat that was stapled to a piece of plywood instead of the thermoformed polyethylene seat pan they had been using. Hope this helps. Ogy

delray

ok ogy, i have to take your word. you man:thumbsup:
first and only clinton powered fox bike i have seen. maybe it's worth ever penny$$$

Sorry to open an old post...but to delray - I have a fox almost identical to the one your pictured, except it's got a briggs and a speedo...Anyone know anything about these or where I can get parts? It ran okay when I picked it up a few years ago, but needs a new clutch now.

Thanks

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes!!
I LOVE FOXES!
Start a new thread. Introduce yourself. What ya looking for??
Post up some pics. Where ya located?