Let's talk chains

My daughter and I were out braving near zero temps a couple of weeks ago. I was pulling her on her sled and I was on my DB30 6.5 on a snow covered back road.

Wouldn't you know it, we get about 1 mile or 2 from home and my chain snapped. Or I should say my master link broke/fell off. Luckily I had my mini tool kit and a spare master link with me (keep a pouch on my bike with those things in it). I was prepared :thumbsup:. :hammer:

It sucked big time though as my fingers about froze...really stung they were so cold by time I got it fixed.

Got me thinking about chains though.

Are some better than others?
Do some stretch less than others?

If so, could someone point me to an online source to purchase a good #35?

mmisterbungl - Thanks for the info and link...that is what I am looking for. Looks to be very well made chain.

jesse - Good advice. Didn't think of elimination the master link, but it makes sense as this will always be your weakest link. Looks like I'll be needing a chain tool as well.

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

that chain breaker is the absolute best one i've used for #35 chain. somewhere on here is a video that vette did showing how to break and re-connect the pin so that you don't need a master link. I personally have been using the master link on mine without a problem. And I've taken mine off an put it back on over 20 times I'm sure if not more. Just make sure your in perfect alignment from sprocket to clutch and you'll be safe!

ah, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcUH1OTjJ_s&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

gbones

2 boxes of the gold chain for the DB you say, i think i read on the wharehouse that it comes with 100 links. i guess i better count how many links i have on my bird before ordering 1 box, i dont want to get the box then realize im "?" short:doah:

2 boxes of the gold chain for the DB you say, i think i read on the wharehouse that it comes with 100 links. i guess i better count how many links i have on my bird before ordering 1 box, i dont want to get the box then realize im "?" short:doah:
yes, I found out the hard way that I needed two boxes. It comes with 106 links in a box, fyi.

You know it's funny how some people don't like master links in their chain. I sold thousands of feet of chain when I had my shop in all sizes #35, #41, # 428, #40, and some #50 even double row #40
and we always used a master and even 1/2 links.
If you want to change or service the clutch, back wheel you must pull the axle. One requirement when using a master is to put the open end of the clip toward the direction of chain travel.
Steve :scooter:

Steve, I have to agree. I can't imagine why anyone would want to NOT have a master link on a mini bike/gocart. I'd have to loosen the engine every time and slide it back a ways to get the darn thing off if I didn't have a master. Forget that.:shrug:

For me I come from a racing background mostly mini sprints and a master link will ruin a $150 chain and ruin your day so for me its just something ive been doing for 10 years so i do it will everything with a chain.

One requirement when using a master is to put the open end of the clip toward the direction of chain travel.
Steve :scooter:
I've always put the masterlink on with the open end of the clip facing away from the direction of travel. With the open end facing away from the direction of travel it isn't as likely to pop the clip off if the chain bangs into something.
At least that was my reasoning.. whats yours for doing it the other way?

I have to agree with jessie on this one! I have run a masterlink on several things, but once I got into kart racing and had that first link pop....no more! but karts are alot harder on a chain then a minibike! I could be wrong though!

I've always put the masterlink on with the open end of the clip facing away from the direction of travel. With the open end facing away from the direction of travel it isn't as likely to pop the clip off if the chain bangs into something.
At least that was my reasoning.. whats yours for doing it the other way?
that's what i've always heard as well. i've had Harley mechanics with many years of experience say the same thing too.

I have some leftover 420 chains from an old 71 CM70 Honda bike. Does anyone ever use this size or the sprockets that fit them on their mini bikes?