lighted coil set up for briggs or tecumseh

trailramdan

looking for a lighted coil set up for my ram so i can actually run my headlight i have a 5 horse briggs engine but i may run a old tecumseh eventually so either would work! let me know if you guys have either or both!!!

Fat Boy

I would pick out my motor first and then buy the lighting coil and flywheel to fit the motor . Flywheels and crankshafts are not a universal fit item . Actually it is a lot easier and cheaper to buy a motor off a snowblower with lights and put the engine on the bike .

trailramdan

i was just seeing what was out there, id be perfectly fine using my 5 horse briggs but i really want to be able to have my headlight and brake light working.....sooo i may have found a H60 6 HORSE tecumseh motor and if i could find all what id need to make it work id pick it up. these may not be to easy to find the way it seems hopefully im not SOL. :censure:

trailramdan
I'm not sure if the coil I have will work on the H60 motor..
Here are the parts you will need for a HS40 motor..

Lighting coil flywheels number is 610769A

Lighting coil

I'm not real sure about criss crossing flywheels to coil packs.. They are samey same for the most part, but the diameter of the wheel, and way the point cams work can be different.. I think typically like 3-4 horse motors have about the same diameter coil as like maybe the H60-70 big blocks.. But I know once ya get to like 8 horse, the distance around the inside of the flywheel is different, so ya need a larger coil to fit... OR ya put an 8 horse on a 4 horse, and the flywheel won't fit over it..

THEN ya run into timing issues.. The taper on the front of the crankshaft changes horribly between motor to motor...

It's best to let the more knowledgeable members with a mass pile of misc fcked up parts, to be the experiment guys.. :laugh:

I have a briggs and Sratton 5 horse lighted motor for sale, but the lighting system in the briggs motors doesn't put out much amperage, so you'd want a real low amperage bulb. They are just made for trickle charging the battery for the electric start, but a light will suck more juice than you can produce.. :glare:

If you want to convert a Briggs non lighted motor, you first need the correct block, so you can bolt in the lighting coil.. THEN you gotta have an extra long crankshaft, lighted flywheel...

You're best bet would be run a battery pack, or find an already running lighted engine..

something you need to remember about changing a 5hp briggs to a lighted setup. the flywheel is thicker than a nonlighted flywheel,making the crank shaft longer on the flywheel end.the only flywheel i've seen for this setup has a ring gear,if you remove it,it may fit a nonlighted crankshaft,but it will require lots of work. also the block is different,it needs holes under the flywheel to mount the coils.only later blocks have this option.
listen to fatboy when he says to find an engine already with lights.

It's actually stepped out for the coils.. Ring gear or no, you still need the long crank..

On a plus side, any motor with the starter boss on the side, to accept a starter, will be the long crankshaft and have the mounting studs for your coils..

If it is a non lighted engine, it will be a non lighted flywheel as well.. Only the block and crank you need... But many motors where electric start only so the block and crank are not hard to find.. It's the flywheel and coils that are the hardest part..