lighting coil ?

Motra

Yes. The coil supplies A/C power. You can run the wire from the coil right to the positive headlight wire and ground the negative wire to the frame or engine. With this arrangement the brightness of the headlight will increase and decrease with engine RPM, but it's adequate for a minibike. Otherwise you'd have to have the charge coil, rectifier, regulator, battery, fuse, switch, and more complicated wiring and mounting situations.

I bought a electric start kit off ebay I will post pics when it gets here on how easy install was ,, Hope to put this in a 6.5 Harbor Frieght clone engine , all mounting holes are there so we will see how it goes

Motra

Right again, somebody get Hayden a prize. The rectifier converts the A/C from the charge coil into D/C, which charges the battery. The regulator controls the amount of current delivered to the battery. If you don't have electric start, you could simplify the process by using a low amperage charge coil (about 2 amps) without the regulator/rectifier. You just use a small diode to rectify the A/C into D/C and go directly to the battery. The low amperage doesn't overcharge the battery, but it charges it sufficiently for headlight use. Also, you'd need the corresponding flywheel with magnets on the inside too. The coil won't do anything without the correct flywheel.

Last edited:

delray

my question is there anyone selling a complete honda clone engine with a lighted coil already set-up. i have seen some of the larger baja minibikes come with them,so i would think someone would sell a clone engine with a lighted coil? if clones are going for around $100 each? you would think with a lighted coil setup you could get it for about $150 or less?
anybody have any web links to a complete engine with lighted coil.

just so we are clear, is the fly wheel different for the engines with the coil? it seems like the same magnets that run the ignition would run the lighting coil.

delray

fonz,i don't think that engine has a lighted coil,charging system?

:scooter:.............and fonz lives in milwaukee,wi ...ha...ha...:thumbsup: happy days