Lil Indian Wheel Size

Hi,
I recently picked up a late 60's Lil Indian roller. It has 5" steel wheels on it but in searching I could not find any reference to 5" wheels. Are the 4" steel wheels original?

Thank you!
Dante

MVC-588F.JPG

Thanks, here is a pic of when I got it. The PO had installed a silly homemade scrub brake and a foot rest for his son. I have since removed both. Also both brake tabs appear to have been removed. The head tube diameter is 7/8".

I have a few other questions as well.

Would this have had the flat seat on it?
Does anyone know the size and location of the welded brake brackets?
How the fork bolt comes out because I've gotten the bolt about an inch out but that's it. The bushing looks like it's coming out but the bolt wil not move anymore. Does it have to be pressed out?

Thank you all for your help!
Dante

Check under that recover on the seat, you might be surprised to find what was on it before. One of mine had something similar done and the original seat was still underneath it. Although not in great shape, I was able to pull a pattern from it and build a new one.

As for the wheels, It could have had 4" or 6". Sometimes it was dictated by where the rear fender strap was located I believe. At least on a couple of mine you can't put 6" wheels and fenders because the tire rides to close to bracket. If the motor plate is original, it appears that it would have been a Briggs bike. There would be a small round hole towards the center if it was a Tecumseh bike. Anyone with a LiL Indian can give you the dimensions and location of the bracket. I can get it for you if nobody has it handy.

As for the forks, it looks like they've been racked slightly. It's probably putting a bind on the bolt itself. The lower triple tree looks like it's out of whack compared to the top one in the picture. A piece of brass and a hammer might help you get it out from the bottom. That way you don't mess up the bolt if it's still good.

Hope that helps.

No, there's just some too soft foam under the seat. I'd thought that all lil indians had flat seats but recently saw some with the kicked up back. Do you know if those are typically before or after the flat seats?

I checked to see if a 6" wheel would fit and there's no way it could with a fender. I take it that lil indian never offered a 5" option?

The forks have a slight tweak to them probably the cause as you pointed out. I just wanted to make sure there was a special trick to getting them out.

I appreciate the info!

It was probably a 4" wheel bike to begin with then. I don't think there were any 5" wheel models to my knowledge but I'm not the one to answer that question. You can readily find the 4" steel wheels like they used on LiL Indians but should you want the 4" mags, that gets a bit tougher and non pocket friendly.

Have you looked for a serial number on your frame? If not, check the rear tire straps and see if you can see anything stamped in there. Sometimes on the motor plate as well.

As for the seats, there are several styles that were used through the years. They definitely weren't limited to the flat seat. I have a '70 that has a large seat with a kick up. You can kind of narrow down what you might like to do from some of the catalogs if you are wanting to try and make it somewhat original looking. Once again, there are others here that can answer questions about the chronology of the LiL Indian seat if they feel like ringing in. I've just used the random catalogs that I've collected to get a general base line.

I could not find any numbers on the frame, straps or engine plate. Well, it looks like I have at least a couple different options for the seat. I appreciate the information on the wheels!