Little Machine Build (MTD)

Figured I'd start a project log for my MTD I'm calling "Little Machine." This probably won't go too fast, maybe run the course of the summer. Here it is the day I got it:

It was super crusty/rusty/banged up/motor hardly even bolted together/etc.. The motor had a clutch welded to a pulley (with a socket stuck on the end) and the jackshaft had a pulley welded to it, with a random belt run between. Most mechanical parts on this bike were totally shot, this thing was abused. I picked up a new predator motor for it. I originally bought the 212cc and brought it home to find it didn't fit, so brought it back and swapped out for the 79cc motor.

I was advised in my introduction thread to flatten out the engine mount, so that's what I did next and where I'm at now. I'm obviously not going OG on this bike, I just want to give it a new life. I may be able to fit the bigger motor now that I've flattened out the motor plate, but don't really care. I'm building this mostly to enjoy building it, not necessarily to fly around. I'm actually considering using some penetrol and keeping the gritty bare metal look, can't decide between that and a purple powdercoat.

I cheaped out and rattle canned it. Decided I just want to get this thing back together with minimal investment. Here it is now:

Notice the rear fender is chopped. The back half of it was so mangled I just cut it. I think it would look fine without it but want it to protect grime for kicking up on the motor.

Also, after I painted it I found a major crack in the frame. S,o I had to grind the paint off, weld, grind, paint again. Better than having it break in half while riding it though!

JKautoFab

nothing wrong with a rattle can job if you prep it right. even if you dont, you only spent 10 dollars painting it so WTH lol:thumbsup:

Been crazy busy and haven't had a ton of time for the Little Machine. Here's where I'm at now:

I ended up getting the 6.5 hp motor after all, figured I'd be pissed if I spent the money on a 5/8 clutch only to not have enough power. Notice I had to notch the heck out of the jackshaft bracket in order to make it fit.

Now I just need to click on the link at the top of the page and order a clutch, jackshaft, sprockets, chains, bearings, foot pegs, exhaust, throttle, shocks, grips, etc....

Thanks guys. I bobbed the fender because the rest of it was trashed, all dented and crumpled. Hope it still looks good once I get the seat on it. I love the MTD handlebars too, they are a little rusty/crusty but a huge part of how this bike looks so figured I'm ok with it. I brushed them out with a scratchy purple 3M pad to make them look a little better.

Placed my OldMiniBikes order. Got everything I need but the seat, planning on building that myself. Here's to hoping it somehow gets here by this weekend so I can take it memorial day camping. Probably won't, but I'm still stoked!

It's done! For now, at least. I'm sure I will continue to modify it over the course of the summer but wanted to get it in the mountains to camp this weekend. I ordered my OldMiniBikes parts Sunday night and they got here Wednesday. I had more trouble than I thought putting it all together, it will be a lot easier next time! These pictures suck I will take more detailed ones later, but it's dark out and I wanted to get them up.

On a side note, the clutch is really noisy, I'm assuming this is normal but not sure?? This is my first mini, but not my last.

The bike turned out real nice.:thumbsup:

A buddy of mine has a survivor Western Flyer SS400 which is what yours started out as, they were MTD built though just decals were different. He sometimes tries to see if I'll buy it but I have made a fair offer so we are at a stalemate on a price.

pomfish

Great lookin' finished product!

As far as the noisy clutch, looks like you have a lot of tension on the small chain over to the jackshaft. Loosen it just a tad and your clutch may settle down. Too much tension and it will fry that bushing in no time flat. Trust me I have ruined one in 2 days time before I wised up.

Have fun this weekend,
Keith