Live axle minibike

Does anyone have a live axle minibike? My scratch build is live axle, but were any bikes ever produced to be live axle? Are there any disadvantages?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I just changed my minibike to live axle. It spins just a little more free then before, but put a extra 10 lbs on the back of my minibike. I like the regular grade 8 5/8" bolt instead, but my motor was bending the bolt on hard clutch lock up.

I don't think it's needed for mild motors.

There are advantages like larger axle, larger bearings,different sprocket sizes easily changed, and easier to install a disc brake rotor.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There are advantages like larger axle, larger bearings,different sprocket sizes easily changed, and easier to install a disc brake rotor.
Yeah but that's most of the things that are needed with motors that make a lot of power, need both rear wheels to spin at the same speed, high speed turns, and different track sizes like in karting.

None of us minibikers need disc brakes in Southern Cali. Most get them at a very cheap deal, or just want the look of the disc setup and have the money to spend. We all ride, or race in straight lines so we can stop by using are feet if needed too.

Larger axle, larger bearings, bearing hangers, axle locks, disc brakes, larger sprockets all add up to more weight. If your dealing with less than 20 hp it isn't needed.

If your twisting and turning, or normally ride on wet conditions then I can see the need for disc brakes.

I was thinking more on the lines of rough riding conditions like woods and potholes and such. The big flange bearings and larger diameter axles just last longer. I'm going to run one one my next scratch build for longevity. Plus I like machining and fabricating. I'll make my own axle and bearing blocks. I agree that when racing in a straight line,you want to reduce weight and turn no more metal than necessary.

Really??:thefinger: To each his own. It's a matter of preference.I'm not arguing with anyone. I was just giving an opinion. When I build anything, I overengineer. The parts I add or make will never be the weak link.I really don't give a rat's rectum what anyone else does to theirs. And no matter what anyone posts, there's always going to be other opinions. SOOOOOO???????????:thefinger:

I get my overengineering from the Swedes. A b18 Volvo engine (1800 4 cyl) has more bearing surface than a small block Chevy. Do they need it?? Probably not, but they run 500,000 miles on the original parts. And yes it's all good, but some is better.:thefinger::biggrin:

so this poses the question, I want to put a 11-5.00x6 kart slick on the rear of my taco frame, what non live axle rim can I use that's not a live axle?

it looks too fat to fit a regular 6" rim? I have 6" Astros on my Trailhorse and that tire looks way too wide to fit.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
it looks too fat to fit a regular 6" rim? I have 6" Astros on my Trailhorse and that tire looks way too wide to fit.
APS has a steel rim that comes 4.5" wide. It will fit it, even the azusa will. If you just want the wide tire look go with a kart tire 11.5x6x5 Then get the azusa 5" rim with the 2" spacer.

That's what a few of my buddy have done.
Check the Gray, and Red minibike on this clip. The Grey one has a 5.5" wide kart tire, and the Red onehas a 6" wide tire. Both are running the Azusa 5" rim with 2" spacer.

YouTube - Mansville minibike racing 3 (minibike)