Louisiana Newbie

Hey folks, I will be starting a project soon. I think it's a Pinto or Sprite Bird frame, can't tell much difference by looking around the internet. So I came upon the forum and said " I'll be needing these folks", so here I am. Thanks for having me!

Greetings and welcome.. I grew up in northern Louisiana..left decades ago.:drinkup: post a pic once you can..someone will know bike

Hello fellow newbie, Hef here. I'm sure some of the old timers here will correct me if I'm mistaken, but Bird Engineering is different than Fox Corp/Sprite. If your bike has an engine plate shaped like a pentagon (5 sides), it's a Fox. Square/rectangular would be someone else possibly Bird, who made bikes for Sears, Wards, Penny's etc.
I'm not able to post links etc but if you google image search for Fox Corp minibikes you'll find some good stuff. Same for Bird.
Good luck!

IMG_0796.JPG
Hope the pics show, my first time to try that.
Here is the frame that I don't know what brand. The original paint color looks maroon. Also on the rebuild, I want to put shocks on the seat, but it doesn't have the tabs that other bikes have. I was wondering what those little holes are for near the rear axel holes.

View attachment 99149
Hope the pics show, my first time to try that.
Here is the frame that I don't know what brand. The original paint color looks maroon. Also on the rebuild, I want to put shocks on the seat, but it doesn't have the tabs that other bikes have. I was wondering what those little holes are for near the rear axel holes.
Can't see pic , but Bird made a mini bike called the Sprite ( not to be confused w/Fox Sprite ) Those holes are for shocks , welcome and you really should consider coming to Lucedal in a couple week , it'd be a great opportunity to meet a bunch of great people and no worries if your bike isn't ready we'll have one or 10 for you to ride !! I'm in Denham Springs btw !!

Yes your bike is a bird and the little holes in the axle tabs are for the shocks. Do a search on here for bird and you will see how they go together. Nice bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was raised in Denham Springs too! Would you be John P. T., the wheelie king of Denham Springs?
Nope not me , lol , I now see the pics , your bike is a Bird sold by JC Penny as a Foremost Golden Pinto , cool little bikes
I have several Bird mini bikes , good luck with the restoration !

That's just it. When I do a serach, those tabs holes near the axle hole are never used. Except in one pic, it looked like a wheelie bar was connected there. All the shock holes I see in the Bird line have extra tabs welded higher, separate and above the axle tab. I'm thinking my bike was not one for the shock seat. Another clue is the seat mounts look like it for a short standard seat, not one to pivot for the shock. I do plan to change that. IMG_0795.JPG

That's just it. When I do a serach, those tabs holes near the axle hole are never used. Except in one pic, it looked like a wheelie bar was connected there. All the shock holes I see in the Bird line have extra tabs welded higher, separate and above the axle tab. I'm thinking my bike was not one for the shock seat. Another clue is the seat mounts look like it for a short standard seat, not one to pivot for the shock. I do plan to change that. View attachment 99209
You are partially correct , Bird made a model called the Sprite and also War Eagle ( google those for images ) but the curved back ape hanger type bars weren't seen on those if I'm correct ? You are correct about tabs just above the large axle tabs which mine has
On my Bird Duck model they use the holes on the axle tab for shock mounting
It would be a simple task of course the add the tabs to your frame , really boils down to how correct of a restoration you want to do . Also if you go with seat mounted shocks there is a surplus site on-line that sell them for $9 bucks each and the are really nice and very close to the original Sebac shocks !

On another note OldMiniBikes Warehouse is a great place to source a lot of the parts from , I like to patronize them as they host this site free for all to enjoy , they sell a re-popped aluminum scrub brake pad as well that's an exact replica of the original !