Machining Predator taper to clone?

JamnJM

Has anyone tried to machine a Predator crank flywheel taper to the clone taper yet?

Would the key way also need to be re-grooved too?

I would guess a bare crank, in a lathe with clone chucked on the output shaft, other end a live center and then set the angle to a clone taper angle....then swap to Predator crank and machine away??????

JamnJM

Are the crank shafts too hard to machine and need special diamond tipped tools?

Or need to be belt sanded down like what they do for the journals?

rmm727

flywheel taper shouldn't be any harder than the pto side. People turn those down all the time with carbide insert tooling or even HSS lathe tools.

from what i'm told, you can put a honda crank ($45) and honda billet rod ($60) in the predator, which will allow use of honda flywheel. if honda rod works with predator piston, then this would probably be an option.

rmm727

from what i'm told, you can put a honda crank ($45) and honda billet rod ($60) in the predator, which will allow use of honda flywheel. if honda rod works with predator piston, then this would probably be an option.
I'm the one that posted that for you. You lose displacement (208cc vs. 212). It would only be worth it IMHO if you got the Predator used or cheap and the same would go for the crank.

true. the flywheel is the only thing really holding this motor back.
and valve float
and con rod
and carb
and cam
ect

Open the engine and dump out the parts.........why not just buy a empty case?....Its the only thing left after all these insane mods....

Be better off with a Briggs race engine....yes/no?

:laugh:

and valve float
and con rod
and carb
and cam
ect

Open the engine and dump out the parts.........why not just buy a empty case?....Its the only thing left after all these insane mods....

No. Gx based engines will whoop on a briggs any day. 100 bucks for a core and piston with the bore already big is good for me. Aftermarket Flywheel is really holding these engines back. I've made mine work and I'm flying. No briggs on gas can keep up with my predator out here.

No. Gx based engines will whoop on a briggs any day. 100 bucks for a core and piston with the bore already big is good for me. Aftermarket Flywheel is really holding these engines back. I've made mine work and I'm flying. No briggs on gas can keep up with my predator out here.
Damn I figured the Briggs could do it....Thanks for the info as I am about to buy a new Kart.... with or without Liafan (spelling?) engine

Damn I figured the Briggs could do it....Thanks for the info as I am about to buy a new Kart.... with or without Liafan (spelling?) engine

Out here there's briggs 6.5's pushing 300ccs all worked up. A 265cc gx/clone will hang with a worked up briggs. There's a guy about to bring out a billet animal that's 305ccs . We'll see what he does . I think a gx/clone fully blown will hang with it. Price wise briggs cost more too.

and valve float
and con rod
and carb
and cam
ect

...all of which are available, except the flywheel. Therefore, its what's holding a predator build back.