Man I'm jazzed ~ old briggs kickstart engine from the 1930s.

Payed for it today Ill pick it up tomorrow and post pics. Kickstart is on the right side like a motorcycle. Complete and runs great.

Oldsalt

Can you show me a citation fro that? I'm reading 1/2 with the original carb, 2 1/2 with a model N carb, and with a fabed intake manifold and Honda 50 carb around 6hp at 4000rpm.
You are saying what? That if you put a bigger carb on the 'Y' engine it will produce more HP? And also saying that it will turn 4000 RPM for more than half a second?

Can you show me a citation fro that? I'm reading 1/2 with the original carb, 2 1/2 with a model N carb, and with a fabed intake manifold and Honda 50 carb around 6hp at 4000rpm.
You are saying what? That if you put a bigger carb on the 'Y' engine it will produce more HP? And also saying that it will turn 4000 RPM for more than half a second?
im with oldsalt on this one you could get more power to a point . as i have seen briggs do the one part trick . hell i got one a 55 6b 1.25 to 1.75 hp depends on rpm . lined it up one time to a 2.5 hp block and part for part the same crank valves cam coil flywheel heads bla bla bla till i hit the carb . well more the intake the 1.25 tiny little passage 2.5 bigger same flanges everthing . different runners size .

but 6 hp bulllllll shiiiiiitttteeee would love to see where you read that . i really have my reserves that a motor like that could handle 4000 rpm and not go pop all over the yard . 1930 motors didnt spin fast at all hell even in the late 40 still slow slow things and no hp in there numbers wise . my dads 8n ford 1947 only had 12 hp and thats alot bigger then a washer motor . only way i could see ya getting 6 hp and it holding is some back shop tricky work . like all new machined parts built into a old block .

Oldsalt

The attached pic is my last remaining Y Briggs. Have had several but keeping this one for a future minibike project that keeps running through my head.

I know the limitations of this engine. I would not run mine over 1800 rpm. Look at the tube that connects to the carb and then try to image putting another carb in its place,

Last edited: