Max torque clutch

The best thing to do is contact Jim Donovan of Max Torque Clutches jim@maxtorque.com
Describe the condition and send him your photo. Jim is extremely knowledgeable about clutches and very passionate about his product. He is also one heck of a nice guy! Some of us (yours truly included) have contacted him over the years for technical support with our projects. He always gets back to you promptly. I would bet he will take one look at your photo and immediately know what is causing this. Make sure and check back with what you find out so we can ALL learn. Regardless of what you find out, the good thing is that these clutches are very inexpensive (about $ 30.00 I believe?),a great value and do not bust the budget if you have to get a new one.
Michael
Ok, so I did get in contact with Jim at Max torque he said that he tried to post a "little book" but after 20 min of writing and was to old to figure out how to post it and "got pissed" so he quit. But his diagnosis is it looks like the drum was getting hit by the "drive plate" and the wear on the shoes is the "ting ting" prior to lock up as the shoes won't make such a distinctive groove and is nothing to worry about but stop and go is the worst thing for clutches.His site has a very detailed overview on clutches that helped me, he had some good examples of what not to do and has seen some things that make him cringe, but ultimately are good for business. Lol, check out his site a Maxtorque.com thanks all.

Job well done contacting Jim and thanks for posting the follow-up! We are learned something and now you have a direct contact to one of the most knowledgeable gents in the industry in regards to clutches. My guess is that you will be contacting him again in the future for some more technical support.
Michael

Back in "The Day" when me and the other lil scamps in my neighbhood weren't playin' stick ball, stealing the occasional apple from Mr. Johnson's apple kart or fishin' down at the water hole...we where jammin nickles, buffalo head ones, into our clutches so we could push start our minis. Usually, if you put it in just right it would fly out somewhere. Sometimes not. We would do damage not unlike this.

Reassemble the clutch and found that the drive plate is NOT near the groove, what the hell? So I'm sticking to my previous diagnosis of putting around not fully engaging the clutch! Oh well.