MB165 Chain Tensioner

Hi I finially fixed the engine on my bike by swapping the cranks with another engine but when riding today the plastice wheel on the tesioner for the chain fell off. I looked online but its says the small wheel one that I need has been discontinued. And they make a large wheel one but Im not sure if it'll fit. Does anyone know if the bigger wheel and arm will fit on my older MB165?
Thank you

The arm and spring are still on the jackshaft just the plastic peice and whatever was attached to it. Is this even needed or could I just removed some links if I take it completly off so its not as loose?
Thanks for any help

MB165

hey good job on the engine. You could try shortning the chain.... the wheel looks available from baja motorsports, or try OldMiniBikes warehouse I think their a dealer as well.

part number 165-279, ROLLER 4 CHAIN TENSIONER

Thanks I ended up having to swap cranks too on the engines. I'll try shorting the chain and if that does not work I guess I'll need the part for it. The nut that holds the roller on fell out too. Im not sure if its one piece or 2 but before I mess with it I'm going to go see if I might find it at where I ride. Crazy to try and look for something that small in a huge field and/or parking lot but hey who knows it might just be sitting in plain slight.:eek:ut:

I couldnt get around to looking for the roller today (rain) but i'll try tomorrow. As a temperary fix I was thinging put just a long bolt in the arm where to old roller nut went and make sure its greased up alot? Just something to make sure the arm is still staying on the chain. Atleast until I find a replacement or find the old one really. Does anyone know if I can use the larger rubber black roller on this jackshaft? Its just the stock MB165 one. I can post a pic if needed.
Thank you

butch63

same thing happened to my grandsons hawg ty. tensioner arm, wheel, & spring came off, tangled in front chain, bent inner chain guard where jackshaft is. if you still have the arm & spring, lt was suggested to me to use a skateboard wheel. but all my parts got chewed up. might work for you:shrug:

I'll try that but I think the wheel might be too big for the area. I got a cheap skateboard I've had since I was a kid that I can use the wheel from. The idea sounds good but I dont know if it will fit. I'll let you know if it does or I find the roller in the field.
Thanks

Valocalrep

I'll try that but I think the wheel might be too big for the area. I got a cheap skateboard I've had since I was a kid that I can use the wheel from. The idea sounds good but I dont know if it will fit. I'll let you know if it does or I find the roller in the field.
Thanks
If you use a old skateboard wheel what you should try to do it grove it down in it has a something like a track to sit on, we used to do it slowly with a drill press and it worked. Best of luck

No luck finding the roller in the grass today. Im going with the temperary fix with a bolt in the thread of the arm where the roller is till i get the right size for the skateboard wheel.
What is the size of the bolt i'll need? Thanks

Good news guys I got the skateboard wheel all set up on the arm. I took apart 3 wheels in all. One whole ( 2 bearings and 1 brushing inside) wheel as the roller itself. The two other wheels I took the brushings out of to help the wheel spin better by placing 1 on each side of the wheel. The weird thing was when I got the arm off I noticed the chain had eaten though some of the metal of the arm! So much so that I tapped out the thread again as it was damaged when the chain ate through the arm so I could put the bolt in properly. Theres acually a very small hole in one of the "grooves" the chain created but I think it will be fine. I wish I could cut a notch in the wheel but I dont have acces to a drill press so I'll have to make do without. Now lets hope it works on the bike.

Check Monster Scooter Parts website, they carry just about everything you need for the MB165.
Hi, I've used them before, Great website. I've had to used for when my plastice clutch cover fell off and broke. They did have the exact part I needed but it said discontinued. But thanks anyways. Alot of these older MB165 parts are getting discontinued it seems. Such as the metal headlight that Monster Scooter Parts carried. Now all they sell is the cheap plastic one. Its not their fault but the company that used to make them has now stoped.

Update: I got the arm back on. Seems like it will work alright but I do need to put on the shorter bolt as the current one hits the plastic clutch cover. Once thats done I'll go try it out. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

have any pics of the finished look. i'm trying to do something similar what does the spring attatch to?
I can seem to work the pics on this website but I'll try again but as for the spring it attaches to the top rear tab the holds the plastic cover on the bike. I put some thread lock on the bolt too so it wont come out again.