Mikuni CHOKE LEVER QUESTION

A vm22 mikuni with a black rubber choke lever on the side if flick down is the choke on or choke off?

Sorry seem to have different answers off different people so i need someone to truthfully clear this up for me.

As im very confused as my engine will only run with the black lever (not plunger) pointing up.

Hope someone out there know....

Last edited:
WOw, this is really a crazy question. Wanna know exactly how to tell? LOOK IN THE VENTURI OF THE CARB WHEN ACTUATING THE LEVER. If the shutter closes then that's the position when the choke is ON. If it opens that's OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless I'm missing something obvious here, that's the easiest way to tell. It's like any carburetor with a choke. Choking th engine means starving the engine of air, therefore creating a vacuum up your fuel line from your tank. The shutter is a sure bet to tell what's what.

:confused::confused::eek:ut:

Last edited:
When the plunger is up the choke is on:thumbsup: I have to run mine for a while with the plunger up to warm the engine up or it will die.Hope this helps.

Yup, I'll 7th that one.. :laugh: Yeah pretty well any of those carbs I've ever seen will pull the knob UP to choke.. I'm guessing the confusion was created from a second lever or knob you're pulling actually ACTUATE the real knob on the carb itself.. :shrug: I know a lot of equipment has the little lever you'd reach under tank and grab, and jam it downward, that counterlevers the plunger UP un the carb... Like my old Honda 3 Wheeler.. :shrug: Sounds right to me.. Thats what I'm going with.. :laugh:

george3

his discription was confuseing. with out a pic. now I see they designed it back asswards. plunger up choke or actully rich mixture to start it. these chinese do every thing upside down and backwards

george3

pm Edwin he knows the site that will tell you what size jets for your carb. your venturi is twice the size as the stock carb. so the pilot jet will need to be increased. you have twice the air flow as before. main jet might have to be changed too. maybe smaller on that, or you might drowned the engine. is the head stock or ported.

Thanks for the answers, the head it a 14cc ported head, with a slim gasket high lift con rod and longer duration cam.

So just to clear up whats do the pilot jet do? Do it add air to the idle?

Thanks again