Mini big bike from scratch

lol yeah i try and avoid getting them dirty atleast for the first few rides till i get some pics haha. plus if ya take them through mud puddles the chain and everything turns to a block of muddy ice. it really does ride good. i jumped on my cat right after riding this one and it felt so tall and skinny i found it hard to adjust

I saw this on the HAMB and missed it here. You've done a great job, the way it can be done, for little dollars and creativity.
Enjoy it !
Glenn

It looks nice. Out of curiosity, what equipment did you used to bend the tubing and the welding?
It was pre bent metal from a patio swing setup i got from the trash. thus all the cutting and splicing. I use a lincoln 100 mig with gas for all my welding :thumbsup:

fat cat build

Great build! Thanx for posting the construction and pix's. I am going to convert an ATC 110 to 2 wheel fat tire bike. One conversion I saw used a live rear axle. It does not appear that you are using a live rear axle which leads me to ask where you picked up a wheel and hub combination that worked? My tires will be 22x11x8. I have not been able to find and rim/hub combination that can be used on a non-live rear axle. Any comments would be appreaciated.

Noticed also that the steering column did not use any bearings? Can you elaborate more? Also what is the angle of the steering column compared to verticle?

Thanx!

Richard in Oregon.

Yup the neck does have bearings im not sure of the size it was a weird metric size. i just mixed and matched what i had around. I grabbed the bearings then found a bolt that fit those and a piece of pipe with the proper inner diameter. The angle is about 24 degrees. i think i copied my super bronk. Genrally the angle on minis is around 23-28 degrees you dont want it too steep.
The rear wheel i actually made. I took standard 8" front and added to sections to widen it. I cut off one half of the wheel and bolted on a 6" half with the lip cut off. Then added a 2" section that i had cut out of another set of wheels that i skinnied in the past. Then welded the original half back on the outside. For the rear hub i simply extended out the bearing hub with a piece of pipe. i kept it straight by jamming an appropriate sized ppipe inside the wheel and extention piece. Then welded on some tabs for the sprocket and brake hub and it was good to go. Mind you im very good at building things by eye and the whole thing came out amazingly straight. So yeah its all homemade lol

Jeep,

Of all the bikes I have looked at, yours is my favorite. I hope you don't mind, but I am attempting to copy your design. I received a welder for Christmas (had to drop a hint or two(and one e-mail)), and I needed a project to build. Well I love anything with an engine, and one thing led to another and here I am.

I was hesitant to post anything since I was not sure how it will turn out, but I made enough progress that I think it will look ok. I am taking photos of the whole process, and may do a log if I have time.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind. I think you mentioned some where that they were 18" tires, but were they larger than that once inflated? I am using 22" tires and cant decide what gear ratio to use. I plan to use an 208cc motor from Northern Tool or the 212cc from Harbor Freight.

Great to hear I inspired you to build a bike and join the site! Im very happy with my gear ratio it pulls right up hills and still gets up to a good top speed. I think i said i ended up with a 8.55 ratio but ill check again when i measure the tires for ya. Feel free to copy anything you like :laugh: You should definaly do a build page. I look back sometimes on my old logs and sometimes cant beleive i did all that! Ill try and remember to get a measurment in the next few days. For now heres some more pics :)

Heres some of the throttle lincage i made for the gc160. I know some people have trouble with it.

Thanks Jeep, and Thanks for the additional photos, I am sure ill need them later. I am working on a log, but can not figure how to upload my photos.

delray

jeep2003, i pickup a honda motor with some other stuff and really didn't think it would run from looking at how the last person treated:doah: put little gas in the tank and it started right up and man does that engine every run smooth. i never seen a motor run that smooth before. very little vibration. well balance motor. i still probable wont use it:doah:.....:laugh: just a flathead guy..............:scooter:

yea i try to contribute on diy as there is alot of what i like going on. but it seems a majority are very young and dont take my advice seriously that tends to be frustrating. lotta talk and plans but not much action. but i still like it