minibike alternator/generator?

Stepper motors from an old inkjet printer? Those are DC motors. Don't know if they put out enough juice though but heck, you can get them for free. Then some kind of voltage regulator. Voltage regulator is the key with variable rpm's.
Yes, a DC motor can transform motion into electricity. Enough to recover what's pulled out of the battery by lighting? Yeah, probably not. It's only going to be doing it's thing for as long as the IC engine is running. This case gets worse if lighting continues after engine shut-down.

I really don't see how anything of this nature can be coupled to the PTO on a mini. The form-factor should be small and in that case won't live @ 3600RPM for very long.

Cuda54

Would you really need the battery as you will have lights as long as the engine is running. It take less room if you do not use one. One guy I know use a bike generator and cut a hole in the front so it would go against the fly wheel. He did this years ago I am not sure how long it lasted but it had lights when the engine was running.

^You see,I like this idea due to the simplicity and availability of parts. Today, you can obtain LEDs that will work with generators (AC). Instead of utilizing the engine's flywheel, one could install a disc on the jackshaft and then hit that with the bottle generator. No need for miniature sprockets, potential over-speeding of ebay generators, yada, yada...

I think Cuda54 wins the prize here.

^Small FF, big power-out. Boils down to this: Bike gen(AC) plus rectifier or alternator(DC) plus regulator. Battery vs. no battery maybe? Now it's up to OP to decide. Plenty of good info here.

CarPlayLB

Sorry, I have no updates...been busy with "life" stuff! I do like the small alternator from the garden tractor idea. That solves a bunch of issues right there. I just need to find out if a rectifier is built into the unit like a newer car.

Sorry, I have no updates...been busy with "life" stuff! I do like the small alternator from the garden tractor idea. That solves a bunch of issues right there. I just need to find out if a rectifier is built into the unit like a newer car.
Cheap mini atv/bike regulator/rectifier should work fine, if not integral.

Alternator output doesn't seem to be linear with revs. Off til kick in point, then on. Cars are running them overdriven 3x or more and they live.

CarPlayLB

Cheap mini atv/bike regulator/rectifier should work fine, if not integral.

Alternator output doesn't seem to be linear with revs. Off til kick in point, then on. Cars are running them overdriven 3x or more and they live.
I can't imagine the small garden tractor ones are overdriven like a car. That would certainly make the drive on these easier to fab! Much simpler packaging!

I like that approach, but not enough juice! It is also my understanding that the output on those is 6 volts. There was one for sale here that I was going to pull the trigger on, but determined it was not enough! Thank you for your input... on the output! Much appreciated
12v 18w is what I've read in the service manual.

I just looked at the Kubota 600 gas triple in my garage. Alternator looks like a car one, scaled down. Probably too big.

I also grabbed a pair of Razor scooter motors, wired them together and drove one with my lathe. It made enough power to turn the other motor.
I can test more tomorrow when it won't wake my people/pets.

CarPlayLB

I just looked at the Kubota 600 gas triple in my garage. Alternator looks like a car one, scaled down. Probably too big.

I also grabbed a pair of Razor scooter motors, wired them together and drove one with my lathe. It made enough power to turn the other motor.
I can test more tomorrow when it won't wake my people/pets.
Thanks for trying that! I have seen those on eBay and wondered if they could produce enough juice. If that would work it would be ideal as it has the sprockets and belts readily available!