Minibike and parts sell out

Hey Hent

LOL :thefinger: I still think you guys are :eek:ut: Its not a crusade, im just sick of seeing daily post about guys putting the clone engines on vintage mininbikes. Put them on your china made stuff, not vintage American made minibikes :scooter: In my opinion there is no reason to. The American made engines arnt that expensive, and the engines are so easy to work on, plus why would you want to put some china made crap on a cool vintage minibike? :eek:ut:

Josh

why would you want to put some china made crap on a cool vintage minibike? :eek:ut:

Josh
That's how I've always felt.

I picked up a closeout Robin engine the other day for a demo Azuza I plan to build just to show customers what's possible with a kit bike, but my classic bikes get classic engines.

Hey Tom

I just couldnt take it anymore. I had to say something. I hope i changed a few peoples minds.

I know the robins engines arent American, but they are good engines (from whet i hear) its not one of the cheep china clones that are killing the American manufactures.

Josh

Hey Tom

I know the robins engines arent American, but they are good engines (from whet i hear) its not one of the cheep china clones that are killing the American manufactures.

Josh
foreign is foreign, don't be predujiced!:doah: If it's from another country, it hurts the same!

Hey Enigma

Your right foreign is foreign. But robin isnt a cheep engine flooding the market selling for $120. I doubt many people will choose a Robin engine over a briggs or Tecumseh. So its not the same. Nice try though!

Josh

Hey Enigma

Its all about supporting America! Im a proud American and try to support it by buying American products.

Josh
Tell you what, if you can cut me a super deal on that star engine, then I will not get a clone! Deal?! :smile:

I worked for several years at Federal-Mogul working with the big three. If you only knew what kind of crap the domestics were making and then put bandaids you would be sick! We also produced parts for Japanese companies and it was amazing how we did not have to cover-up any of their mistakes, because they did not exist! Foreign competition is a good thing, it forces the domestics to step up to the plate. The domestic companies need to stop paying line workers $100K a year and invest in new machinery/technology!

As far as the clones go, the domestics just need to produce such a superior product to them to make it worth to buy American. If domestics only produce mediocre products, then people see no reason to spend the extra money.

I love my country, but I will not accept buying inferior products with them knowing that I will buy their product regardless of the quality. I think several manufacturers take advantage of this mindset.

Last edited:
Hey Juice

No need for the Star engine you can get a better deal on a clone. After you get it wanna race? LOL

What domestics? What mistakes? I try to buy most of my stuff American, for 2 reasons,1- i am an American worker! 2- i like quality products. Let us know what crappy American products you had to band aid?

Josh

Hey Josh, I've got my eyes on that Gilson including the engine, but I live in Minnesota, so it would have to be shipped. Any idea what shipping would be?

Hey PP

The auctions end in about 3 hours. I can end them now. I can only end them 12 hours before the action end. If you win the auctions i would think between $25 and $30 for the engine. And probably around $70 for the frame. I will only charge actual shipping charges.

Josh

Hey Juice

No need for the Star engine you can get a better deal on a clone. After you get it wanna race? LOL

What domestics? What mistakes? I try to buy most of my stuff American, for 2 reasons,1- i am an American worker! 2- i like quality products. Let us know what crappy American products you had to band aid?

Josh
Well, considering I can put all forged stuff in the clone and still come out less expensive.....lets race! Oh yeah, I just came back from scuba diving, so dont mind that large tank on my back :thumbsup:

Well I could write a book on all the of the problems with domestic engines, but I will give one example. Our company produced most inner sealing systems such as head gaskets, water pumps gaskets, etc. For head gaskets, most people think that you just cut out some sheet metal in the shapes of the head/block, slap a coating of some sorts and call it day. This is not too far from what needs to be done from a particular Japanese manufacturer head gaskets.

This paritcular Japanese manufacturer has excellent qualitly control and uses the latest technology for producing their blocks and heads. They believe in preventative maintanence, investing in new technology, etc. The quality of their heads and blocks are so good (surface finish, flatness.....), you could almost attach both of them without a head gasket!

A particular domestic manufacturer on the other hand, was not as bad as some companies, but nowhere near as good as the particular Japanese manufacturer. Special coatings were used to accomadate the rougher surface finshes and a ton of R+D was put into devolping gasket embosses too keep eveything leak free due to the lower quality parts.

Now heres where it gets good! This particular domestic manufacturer had a problem with over 5000 vehicles that came off the line that were severly leaking oil. The problem: large chips of metal (several mm in length and at least 1mm in thickness) were left on the block and/or head before the head gasket was put on! Our job was to see if our gasket could seal the largest chips they were finding!:eek:ut:

Believe it or not, our gasket could seal some very large chips, but not the largest chip they were experiencing. So, from what I gather, they probably have some machine or somebody blowing off the chips before final assembly now from our research. For all I know they could have done nothing, since our gaskets would seal the majority of the chips and they figured they wouldnt mind a few leaking here and there. They wanted to "band-aid" the problem with a supplier and not fix the root cause of the problem.

This is just one of the many, many problems I have seen. Just think how many things I did not see because of another supplier getting the buisiness or the problem staying internal....

Last edited:
Hey Juice

Josh
Who makes the components for the AV business you run? Are you selling and installing american made home theaters or car stereos?

Hey Enigma

Dont try and act tuff. You never replied to my PM! So guess you can talk sh*t but cant back it up! Your the one who "called me out"

Josh

answer the question, where are the components made?
How can you preach that clone owners are killing America when your business relies on 90% Asian components?
As far as your PM, let me recall:
Can't race the Star,
I'll bring a 10HP against your 6
I want to keep it off the forum...
Bring it, but make sure you wash it so it doesn't drip oil all over my garage while I cut it up for scrap
:grind:

Last edited:
Hey Enigma

I tell you what. Im sick of your mouth! Come to my house today! We can race on my street! Ill race with my bent forks! I just want to shut you up!

Josh