Modified honda clone fuel

CDM

Hey all,
In your opinion, what is the best fuel for a moderately modified Honda Clone? To make the most power, of course, and the life of the engine and other parts... ( Cam, valve springs, alm. rod, alm. flywheel, bored stock carb .039, header )

I currently use a mix of VP 110 leaded and 87 Regular Gas, seems to work pretty well.

delray

if your not running more them 11.5 compression ? personally I think your wasting your money buying racing gas and mixing it with sh.. 87 octane fuel. i'm sure mixing the two is never a consistent mix and your octane is probably much higher then you needs it to be. making the engine run also hotter then it needs to be. I see you live in wis. just go out and buy the ethanol free 91 octane. it will make it so much easyer to adjust the carb and keep the engine running more consistent....:thumbsup:
are you taking your bike to symco this weekend...:scooter:

SAS289

I'm wondering where everyone is getting ethanol free pump gas? Not that I need it just wondering.

Higher octane does not mean higher performance. I run my stock clones on 87. If you are running the Hisun engine you may notice on the gas tank sticker it says to run what, 90 minimum? They're full of it. Why would you need to run 90 or higher with only about 8.5/1 comp? Maybe they want the engine to run hotter? I don't know.

65ShelbyClone

If you are running the Hisun engine you may notice on the gas tank sticker it says to run what, 90 minimum? They're full of it. Why would you need to run 90 or higher with only about 8.5/1 comp? Maybe they want the engine to run hotter? I don't know.
I'd bet money that rating is for the research octane number (RON) which is what the rest of the world uses for octane ratings on fuel. Here we use an average of research and motor (MON) octanes. Research octane is almost universally the higher of the two ratings, so 90 RON would equate to something probably around 85-86 here.

And I agree that mixing 110 with 87 is unnecessary. In fact, it's probably costing some power.

With light mods, timing advance and slight raise in compression with bolt on's I run 91. Stock compression and stock timing I was running 87 and it ran fine with home made intake, exhaust and re jet. I just run the normal 10% ethanol 91 fuel. I don't have a lot of hours on my bike and don't ride much but I have not had any problems yet.