Modified Predator 212 carb help!

TheCoot

Hey guys,

So I built an old Coleman frame with a heavily modified predator 212 on it. I know it's all billet internals and it's fast and hateful, but I literally know nothing about it internally. The old carb was clogged too bad to fix so I put a replacement Amazon special on it with the same specs. I didn't touch any adjustment screws aside from the idle. The first day I had it running it did really well. Probably put a couple of miles total on it that day.

Went to ride again a couple of days later and once it got warm it acted almost like it had a bad plug or was starving for fuel and wanted to continuously idle high. No throttle was needed as it would run along at about 1/4 throttle by itself. While trying to figure out what was going on the problem got considerably worse to the point it would only run for a few feet at near full throttle and would be choking and spitting the whole time. I can pump the throttle sometimes to keep it going (so I could get home). I haven't tried it since it cooled off, but I do not know a lot about these small engines.

Does this sound like a lean condition to you and its getting hot a vaporizing the fuel? I'm open to any suggestions and will answer any questions you may have.

Thanks in advance!

What type of carb is it? I would think it caught some crud from your fuel tank, making it lean out. I do not see how that would make it idle fast though. Someone will be here soon to help. Again, what carb is it? Gravity feed or fuel pump? Filter anywhere?
Welcome to the Madness!

TheCoot

It's a 26mm Mikuni knock off. Has no inline filter, gravity feed.I hadn't thought about trash coming from the tank. Pretty simple to pull the carb off and clean it out so may make that the next step. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix! Thanks

It's a 26mm Mikuni knock off. Has no inline filter, gravity feed.I hadn't thought about trash coming from the tank. Pretty simple to pull the carb off and clean it out so may make that the next step. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix! Thanks
I would use a small wire to punch out any hole I could see while I was in there. Might have been some rice grains left in there from when Hop Singh assembled it.

So I worked on it some this weekend and I think it was the air mixture screw beside the bowl. The one that is facing upside down. It was 2.5 to 3 turns out. I ran it back in, and about 3/4 of the way back out and it did fine and idled way way better. It still has a stumble when you really get on the throttle but that's just fine tuning I think. Thanks for the help guys

Bird Brain

Does it have a small compression spring on the mixture screw to keep it from moving during vibration from it's setpoint? Not familiar with mikuni's or there clones much, just was wondering if it in fact utilizes a spring for set tension. Some carbs do.