MOTOR CITY MINI's BUYER BEWARE!!!!

This all started in June of 2013. I read a post on here stating that Motor City Mini's was a good place for parts. I was looking for a working Heathkit Boonie jackshaft. I got Bryan's number and called him.
Bryan said he didn't have one then, but thought he had a line on one. A couple of weeks later I called and he had one. He said it was a working jackshaft and he also had the original hi-low shifter. Bryan wanted $170 for the working jackshaft and $30 for the shifter. He said shipping would be included. I agreed to pay his asking price and paid him through PayPal the same day.
About one month later after a couple of calls to him I received the jackshaft. After taking the jackshaft apart, I saw the spring was broken.
I called Bryan and told him about the spring. He said he really didn't know much about them to know if the spring was broken or not. I asked Bryan if he wanted me to send it back, he said no. He said he had another and would send it to me.
After a couple months, phone calls and numerous excuses on his end the second jackshaft finally showed up. Well guess what??? The spring was broken in this one as well.
I called Bryan and asked if he wanted me to send it back? He said there was no need to waste the shipping. He had a line on another jackshaft. Months passed. If you have done business with them during the winter they were only opened on Friday and Saturday. So the calls were limited to the weekends.
January, 2014: After talking to Bryan he was not able to come across another jackshaft. He agreed to refund $150. The difference was to offset his shipping expenses and I agreed. Bryan said he would deposit the money into my PayPal account as soon as he got an issue with his account resolved. Paypal had put a hold on his account?? He said he would refund the money and if he came across another jackshaft he would send it to me, I could look at the spring and if I was happy I could pay him then. I agreed
February 2014; I have a voicemail on my phone from Bryan saying he would refund my $150 as we agreed.
I called Bryan and asked about the refund and he said he had come across another jackshaft. I told him I was not comfortable with the deal and would prefer the refund. He said he paid good money for the jackshaft and didn't want to be out the money. I agreed to accept the jackshaft.
On March 26, 2014 I received the jackshaft. Well guess what??? That's right the spring was broken. I immediately boxed it up and sent it back to him the next morning. Bryan had included a note stating he had some health issues and was sorry for the delay. I appreciate and respect his personal trials and tribulations.
We are now to the point where the store will not answer my calls.
Three weeks ago I called and blocked my number, an employee picked up I asked for Bryan. He asked who was calling? The employee told Bryan it was me and I could hear him say he was issuing me a refund.
April 2014; to this date I have still not received a refund like he agreed to. I called today and told an employee I had no resolve but to inform the forum about this bad situation. He said if I wanted to be a D_CK about it then go ahead.
I am not asking for anything more than what Bryan agreed to refund. I agreed to take a refund less than the original agreed to price to help cover his shipping. He said he was not familiar with the jackshaft and didn't know if the spring was bad or not.
I'm sure people have had good service from Bryan and mine started out this way as well.
Bryan, I am asking you do the right thing here.

Just send me one of those jackshafts, I could use one:laugh: Sorry you didn't get a working one but the spring seams kinda easy:shrug: I don't really know.

If you have never had one apart, there is nothing easy about that spring. Not your every day run of the mill spring that's at the hardware store.

Bikerscum

It's hard to tell from the picture.... is it just a compression spring made from square/rectangular wire, or is it a torsion spring with "legs" on each end?

What size is the wire?

rmm727

I need one of those springs too if one could be made. Sorry about your issues with this seller. I had issues with a seller on here recently as well. I will probably do the same thing and describe it in the off topic section one of these days.

zeeman

I agree that it is not your every day ink pen spring. Man, that sounds like a bum deal you got, especially if the employee said what your only recourse was. Are you positive that spring is not supposed to be separated? Good luck.

I have always had good experiances with Brian, he is a good dude and I am sure he will make it right, those are old and never in great shape, and those 2 speeds were not great from the get go, no big suprize they are broken.

Okay I'm sure about the spring. I'm not looking for advice on the spring. It is broken. I have moved on. The point was to inform the forum if you are going to be doing business with Bryan from Motor City Minis.

Seems to me he tried helping you out a few times using his conn:doah:ections to help you find something you needed. Did you need one because your original had a broken spring also?? I think he went out of his way to help you and probably only made a few bucks doing so. To air your dirty laundry out in public is only going to piss him off- I know I wouldn't like it. Heres a clue,get a new spring!

Bikerscum

The reason I asked about the spring is that square/rectangular wire is readily available, the only down side is you would have to buy probably a 5 pound minimum.... I'm guessing about $50-$75. Still, if that is your only option it's not a bad one. You would have enough material to make quite a few, one person has already said he needs one too. Springs are easy to make, don't give up.

:thumbsup:

rmm727

My spring is missing completely. If someone has enough broken ones to form an example to take somewhere and get a repo made, that would be worth while for a lot of us.

Bikerscum

Wire and spring steel are two very different things.
Well, sorta. You need spring temper wire. Music wire, oil tempered, chrome silicon, chrome vanadium, etc. Problem with the chromium carbon alloys is the short time window to get them into the heat treat oven after forming.

Wanna be the cool kid on the block? Use 17-7 PH stainless steel. It has the same modulus of rigidity as carbon steel (11,500,000 psi), only needs 900 degree heat treat, & is easy to coil before tempering. It would never corrode & break. For your application, you could skip the nitric acid passivation step. It's also dimensionally stable in tempering, unlike the above which will shrink, not expand with heat.

I don't need schooled in spring wire.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Well, sorta. You need spring temper wire. Music wire, oil tempered, chrome silicon, chrome vanadium, etc. Problem with the chromium carbon alloys is the short time window to get them into the heat treat oven after forming.

Wanna be the cool kid on the block? Use 17-7 PH stainless steel. It has the same modulus of rigidity as carbon steel (11,500,000 psi), only needs 900 degree heat treat, & is easy to coil before tempering. It would never corrode & break. For your application, you could skip the nitric acid passivation step. It's also dimensionally stable in tempering, unlike the above which will shrink, not expand with heat.

I don't need schooled in spring wire.

Good luck :thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: