Motovox MBX10 Chain

Just picked up a New Motovox MBX10 for my boys for Xmas.
Put it together, checked everything, put gas gas in and it started right up. Unfortunately after running for about 5 min the chain broke. Looks like the master link broke. Called Motovox and they are shipping me a new chain today. I am hoping to get it before Xmas. I am worried it won't get here before the 25th! Does anyone know if it is a standard link? Could I get it from a bike shop? or auto store?
It is ashame my fat A$% broke it before my kids get to use it but I wanted to make sure it worked. I am hoping to avoid disappointment on Xmas.

Thanks.

John

I'm pretty sure it is a #35 chain. That is what the Doodle bugs used with the same engine. Any lawnmower shop should be able to set you up.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I guess my next question is why it happend? I bought the Mini for the boys but I do plan on taking a cruz every once in a while. Was it a fluke or should I get a stronger chain (If they even make one)

With adults should the chain be a little looser to allow for more flex? It was set with about 1/2 inch

Thanks Again,
John

I'm sorry to hear about the master link failing! Sometimes if the chain does not have enough tension it will put added stress on the weakest part when it engages. The best way to adjust tension is to loosen the 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame and slide it forward until you have just 1/2 to 1inch of play in the chain. Tighten those bolts down and check them again after you ride around a few times. Shouldn't have an issue after that.

It was probably the clip on the master link that popped off. I bought one bacth of master links that had that problem. It was the only batch that did. I think you will be fine with a new link. Make sure you install the clip in the right direction ( closed end of clip goes in the direction of chain travel, in other words the top strand of chain has the closed end of the clip facing the front of the bike). running the chain too tight is hard on it but so is too loose. With the back wheel off the ground slow rotat the tire and find the point where the chain is the tightest. your 1/2 inch of play at that point sounds about right. If the chain is too loose ( especially with that small motor) it will shake hard while the clutch is trying to lock up and I think that can also spit the master link clip off.

Thank You everyone for the the help I was able to find a local speed shop that has links for #35 chain.

I was looking at the chain tensioner and it appears to be offset from the clutch and rear sprocket about 1/8"
Is this standard? Seems like it is putting some side load on the chain. does not appear to be a way of adjusting other than grinding off some of the spacer.

The picture is not exact but gives a general idea.

I just went back and looked at a few and it looks normal. I think you just had a bad master link. If you have anymore issue, please call (816) 416-7113 or 114. Those are our two best techs and will walk you through or send you anything we need.

Last edited:
Both Home depot and Lowes carries links in their hardware section. In Lowes where I normally shop they are found in the blue bins of misc hardware. Good Luck, oh and they are far cheaper then any place I've seen yet.