Moving up to bigger bikes

I want to get a actual motorcycle for the road, but am completely inexperienced in this field.
I was wondering if anybody has some tips on what kind of motorcycle to get for a beginner rider. I heard a 250 kawasaki Ninja is a good starter bike, also priced in my range. Also what to look for when buying a used bike.

Any tips for a soon to be new rider would be great! :thumbsup:

Smallbore

Having a class 3 motorcycle license (now class M) for 40 years I have had many new-bee`s ask me just that question and it is always the same answer. Stay off the Crotch-Rockets !
Sure they look cool but they can get you in trouble real fast, and its easy to get over your head. I always tell a new guy to consider an enduro / duel sport. 250cc - 350cc
You really need to spend some time in the dirt to learn how to react when the rear end comes loose from under you. Plus if it were to go down they wont drain your wallet fixing it. I have seen a full fairing street bike fall off the kick stand and end up with $750.00 worth of dammage. The 250 Ninja is actually a good choice for a first road bike, and if it were in your budget find a beater dirt bike for a few hundred and get as much time as you can on it.

i started riding full size bikes over 35 years ago small bore is absolutly right, get a 250 or 350 dual sport and ride it off-road as much as you can, you will learn skills and develop muscle memory (reaction without thought) that you cant develop on the street that may save your life on the street and please i dont care how good or tough you are wear a helmet because when you crack your head off the door post on a old mans LTD that looked right at you and pulls out anyway while your going 45 mph , well you get the picture :no: good luck have fun

The ninja is a high strung little bugger,and as the rider aquires more skill,usually has them things about worn out when they are ready to sell them.The enduro will always be more fun than a street bike.IMO

I prefer riding offroad its more fun for me and usually far less traffic and when there is traffic it's usually other riders who are looking out for you unlike being on the street.
Its a good place to get to know the bike without being pushed by other drivers.

You should be able to start the bike quickly if it stalls (my DR650 was a pain-kick start only and not fun stalled at a light in traffic)
you should have the braking down pat
you should be able to upshift/downshift the bike without having to really think about it
Basically you'd want to know the bike well enough and be able to ride well enough so your attention is more focused on the road and other drivers on the road.

Riding offroad will teach you some stuff but the loose gravel /dirt on pavement is like greased ice to a bike.A hard packed gravel road with some loose material on top is almost as bad.
After riding offroad for a bit you'll most likely be able to lock the rear tire right up on loose gravel and control it with ease.You'll also learn why NOT to use the front brake to hard but you'll need to have a sense of just how much braking you can use before locking up and skidding.

Learning how to deal with things you will find on the road is key after you have the basic motorcycle riding skills needed to operate the bike without much thought, a motorcycle class would do some good.

I had enduros and many street bikes, I would recommend a metric cruiser in the 500cc to 750cc range to start out with, There better for longer rides and you won't be wanting to get ride of it a year after you buy it like a 250cc bike.

The ninja 250 is the perfect bike its small light and can be quick when needed.

Make sure to take the motorcycle safety class then go bike shopping.

Move to a smaller town where you can ride your mini around town, like we do:scooter: I wanted to get a real bike one time, so a trusted friend of mine, who also wanted to sell me his bike, sold me on a 1600 cruiser as the best first bike I could get. Don't do that, too big to start with! After I put it in the ditch and paid for the stitches, I went back to minis and mopeds, and likely won't ever get any bigger again because I am having lot's of fun with few medical expenses:laugh:

I have a Honda 230 for going back and forth to the shop. Not a highway bike at all. A bigger bike would've been nicer, but the commute is 2 miles, and I don't have my motorcycle license :shrug:

Suzuki DR200se is a good dual sport around $4000 2005 models and under, ask for dealer records and stay away from anyone who hesitates to allow you to access them just like with cars. A bike can be hurt and fixed right but it is not worth as much IMO, now one with the bugs worked out that someone rode respectably is worth making a fair offer on with little risk. A Ninja 250 is an underpowered and uncomfortable bike that seems to wear out unusually quickly compared to earlier small displacement sportbikes, they are a dime a dozen around here and they all seem to have one issue or another or are at full blown retail freshly serviced. Ultimately it's your choice and some sound advice has been given prior to my post and some other good dual sports have been mentioned. Best to walk and not run when moving up to bigger bikes.:thumbsup:

Suzuki DR200se is a good dual sport around $4000 2005 models and under, ask for dealer records and stay away from anyone who hesitates to allow you to access them just like with cars. A bike can be hurt and fixed right but it is not worth as much IMO, now one with the bugs worked out that someone rode respectably is worth making a fair offer on with little risk. A Ninja 250 is an underpowered and uncomfortable bike that seems to wear out unusually quickly compared to earlier small displacement sportbikes, they are a dime a dozen around here and they all seem to have one issue or another or are at full blown retail freshly serviced. Ultimately it's your choice and some sound advice has been given prior to my post and some other good dual sports have been mentioned. Best to walk and not run when moving up to bigger bikes.:thumbsup:
I'm 5'9 and 200 pounds and my ninja 250 was not under powered for me.

Biggest issue is its to light on the highway.

And the motors last for ever if taken care of people are getting 30k plus on the motor before rebuild.

Thanks Guys, I think I'll be taking the MSF course. I've heard only good things about it. Do you have to take the test at the DMV if I take the course? Or do I take the test their, and the permit test?

Yea, I'll definetely try to get my hands on a 250 dirt bike if possible to get used to the controls and drive.

Smallbore

Thanks Guys, I think I'll be taking the MSF course. I've heard only good things about it. Do you have to take the test at the DMV if I take the course? Or do I take the test their, and the permit test?

Yea, I'll definetely try to get my hands on a 250 dirt bike if possible to get used to the controls and drive.
Test is probably at your local DMV. Check the DMV website for your state.
Make sure what ever you do that the bike you use for the driving part of the test is in 100% working order (turn signals, horn, mirrors, etc...) or they will tell you to come back at a later time.
:smile:

In CA your riding test is waived with successful completion of the MSF-

I'm 5'9 and 200 pounds and my ninja 250 was not under powered for me.

Biggest issue is its to light on the highway.

And the motors last for ever if taken care of people are getting 30k plus on the motor before rebuild.
Well Jesse, I like a bigger CC sportbike and feel like I'm riding something just too small when riding Ninja 250s and yes they lack weight for sure but mainly in the engine cases where more power should reside. They do make good entry level sportbikes.

I'm around a lot of bikes still and the quality has gone down the toilet, I remember when a Honda twin or inline 4 was just getting broken in at 30k. One ridden hard might have needed timing chains and then another 30k.

I do understand why the new engines go less miles, it's because they build em lighter and more powerful and use bushings where heavier bearings would prolong the engine's life but add a lot of weight. They should make race bikes that way but streetbikes should last many years and have the bearings, and the Japanese have always made specialty race stuff anyway so why not? Hell a Jap car goes 300,000 miles if maintained, why not the bikes?:shrug:

Well Jesse, I like a bigger CC sportbike and feel like I'm riding something just too small when riding Ninja 250s and yes they lack weight for sure but mainly in the engine cases where more power should reside. They do make good entry level sportbikes.

I'm around a lot of bikes still and the quality has gone down the toilet, I remember when a Honda twin or inline 4 was just getting broken in at 30k. One ridden hard might have needed timing chains and then another 30k.

I do understand why the new engines go less miles, it's because they build em lighter and more powerful and use bushings where heavier bearings would prolong the engine's life but add a lot of weight. They should make race bikes that way but streetbikes should last many years and have the bearings, and the Japanese have always made specialty race stuff anyway so why not? Hell a Jap car goes 300,000 miles if maintained, why not the bikes?:shrug:
I agree.