Murray Track 2 Honda Clone Install

TomH

I started out with a bare motor plate:

MOTOR PREP.
1. Remove the spark plug wire so it won't get broken while you are trying to line up the motor.

2. Remove the air cleaner cover.

3. Remove the exhaust pipe.

TomH

INSTALL ENGINE ON BIKE
Use the holes on the far right on the motor plate
Tighten up the motor. Leave the nuts loose so you can align the chain and both sprockets
Ignore the motor plate adapter, it is not needed.

Make sure you have the valve cover on the clone touching the rear fender

Like So:

See the chain alignment in the chain hole..centered in the hole will do the trick for good chain alignment

Last edited:

TomH

INSTALLING THE ENGINE

When you are double sure everything lines up, sight along the outside top edge of the chain looking right up the chain from the rear of the bike. This will show if the sprockets are lined up. If you are good, Tighten the fasteners on the engine.

Last edited:
I am listening? tell me how
Tell you how what? I have two of these bikes. I've put a flat head, an Animal, and a Honda clone in a Murray before. The slots on the far right when looking down at the plate sitting on the bike will line up any engine with the rear sprocket.

Last edited:

TomH

Well the first pic, there isn't a chain on it, second pic or third, I don't see any chain line up...mine was close with the stock chain and sprocket..close wasn't close enough for me.

TomH

Yep they look good. I am using a Comet Max Lube clutch, stock length chain and stock sprocket. I used the slots you mentioned and it wasn't close enough for me, looked about a 3/16, 1/4" off. There is maybe 1/16" adjustment on this clutch in or out by taking one of the washers off, but that would make it worse in my case. So the plate is on there.

TomH

appreciate all your comments, with my setup, I am doing what I think is best for my type of riding which is mostly trail riding. I want my chain setup to be as perfect as possible. I will continue on my project with more pics and comments
tomorrow. Your going to love my header modification:smile:

When I installed my 6.5 Clone in my Murray. I used the holes to the Right were the stock Tecumseh was while sitting on the bike, But, I slotted the holes 1" inch longer to the front of the bike than stock to move the engine forward a bit to give a bit more room on the foot peg on the right side.

TomH

mmisterbungl was right. This morning I pulled the motor off and rechecked the line up of the chain, I could make the blue clone work ok without the adapter plate. I rode the bike around and the chain is doing just fine. Thanks for your help mmisterbungl.

TomH

INSTALLING THE HEADER:
Ok, back on track.
I bought my header from OldMiniBikes. This particular header, without modification, doesn't fit very well. It winds up too close to the mono shock. I was worried about interference with the shock, and heat issues also with the pipe so close to the shock. I enlarged the mounting holes on the flange of the header, so I could rotate the header and gain some much needed clearance. I didn't have to heat or bend the header.

Fits pretty good

TomH

Murray track 2 Throttle hook up

Now on to the throttle cable.
The cable has a little metal ball on the end that has to be cut off.
I use a soldering gun and solder the cable to keep it from fraying before I cut the ball off. I suppose you can cut it without doing so, but hitting the hole on my throttle hookup might be a little troublesome. Below are pictures of the throttle linkage and pieces to hook everything up.

This piece came off a 2.8 motor on a DB 30, BUT, you can use this from OldMiniBikes
Wire swivel with screw and washer
also, you need one of these

crappy photo. You can get them here or at a lawn mower shop. You need one for a Honda $$
Conduit clip replaces 16516-891-00

TomH

Here is the finished assembly. Throttle cable on the right is fastened by the Honda clip. I used 1/4 20 1" long with a nut with Teflon for safety. The 2.8 lilifan cable stop is on the left. Back the nut off on the throttle arm and lubricate with a shot of oil. Works great.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I just got the camera and it is not cooperating.